Diagnosis
08/2022
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Livingston
"On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.They found the stone rolled away from the tomb,but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them.In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead?He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee:7 ‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’ ”Then they remembered his words"

Luke 24

"The women receive a word that runs counter to what they know to be true. “Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen.... What is most striking is that the women encounter the resurrection through this message. They are told that Jesus has risen, but they do not see the risen Jesus himself. What they have is a word, a message.

This brings the Easter experience uncomfortably close, because this is precisely what we have–the word of resurrection. One would think God would work differently. It would seem so much easier to have the women come to the tomb and watch Jesus walk out into the light of a new day....

Unbelief does not mean that people believe nothing. Rather, it means that they believe something else. People say “I don’t believe it” because there is something else that they believe more strongly. Yet here is where the Easter message begins its work, by challenging our certainties. Experience teaches that death wins and that even the strongest succumb to it. Experience teaches that life is what you make it, so get what you can while you can because it will be over soon enough. And the Easter message says, “Really? How can you be so sure?” Death is real, but it is not final. In Jesus, life gets the last word.
The Easter message calls you from your old belief in death to a new belief in life. The claim that the tomb could not hold Jesus, and the idea that the one who died by crucifixion has now risen is so outrageous that it might make you wonder whether it might–just might–be true. The apostles seemed convinced that the message was nonsense, nothing more than “an idle tale” (24:11). Death was death. Yet the message was so outrageous that Peter had to go and take a look for himself (24:12). He had to wonder, “What if it is true?”

Those who gather for worship on Easter Sunday follow in the footsteps of Peter. They have heard the rumor that Jesus is alive and come to hear again for themselves: “What if it is true? What if death is real, but not final? What if Jesus is not merely past but present? What if Jesus were to meet me here? What would life be then?”

The Easter reading stops with Peter’s amazement, but the Easter story continues far beyond, as God continues to challenge the certainty of death with the promise of life. Go ahead and tell God that you think it is outrageous to expect anyone to believe that Jesus has risen. Go ahead and tell God that you believe that death gets the final word. None of this is news to God. He has heard it all before. He simply refuses to believe it. “Why do you seek the living among the dead?” God wonders. “Through the living Jesus I give you the gift of life. Why would you think that I would offer you anything less?”

Craig R. Koester​

Professor and Asher O. and Carrie Nasby Chair of New Testament, Luther Seminary, Saint Paul, Minn. 2010.

Tom spent all of Holy Saturday evening coughing. He coughed from 10pm till 7:30am. I was with him administrating meds, cough assist etc. Today is Easter Sunday. I know that we are entering a difficult part of this ALS journey. In the earlier days we sometimes cried. Now we just do what we have to do to be together and keep him comfortable.
I know that Jesus is with us on this journey. It is enough. Jesus is enough. Abide with us Lord Jesus.

I cried all day today. I couldn't go to the sunrise service. Father Phil had the communion wafers shaped like Stars of David. On Holy Thursday he washed the feet of a Rabbi and an Imam.

Kim. Tom was up all night coughing. So I had to tell our Deacon not to visit. I cant remember an Easter Sunday when we did not go to Mass.
I am so sorry you could not go to service for Easter. We live in a NJ town that has religious diversity and many Jewish people. Father Phil sounds like a good guy.

I'm so sorry, Tomswife, that Tom is having such difficulty with coughing. Words really fail.

God's blessings and peace to you and Tom.

Last night I listened to more of Richard Rohr's lectures. I fell asleep while doing contemplative prayer.

I will keep praying for Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back