Not open for further replies.

mjblaisdell

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
08/2020
Country
US
Not sure what to do about transportation.. My wife is about to enter year 3 of this bs disease...We live pretty much paycheck to paycheck as it is. We/I do not have the funds to buy a Hc accessible vehicle, credit is not awesome. If I trade in my current suv with my poor credit I would roll some negative equity into a new loan (if even approved) then pay perhaps more money for a monthly car payment on a used hc accessible van anyway..

...then when its time not to have it any longer (hate to think that way), I know im going to lose more money selling it back..taking more of a hit...

I hate to think in these terms bc I
would do anything for her, but i also have to think sensibly for my financial well being and 2 children...uggh.

Ok..how about leasing..anyone have good experiences leasing?

or

Should I just pay the 180+/day on the instances we need to transport her and the wheelchair to the Dr. Office or to wherever ?

Just fishing for advice I guess...

This is all creeping up fast and as you know, no one is an expert in this journey the first time around.

Thanks for reading..any advice or thoughts would be welcome.

mjblaisdell, if you might share a general area of where you live in the US.
So much varies from state to state - metropolis to metropolis. It might
help our very knowledgeable members better help you like with the ALS
Association or your local chapters or other thoughts they may share.

Sorry to hear about your wife and your situation. Glad you found us
and joined.

We bought a well used, unpopular van with lots of cosmetic issues from a private party. We found it on craigslist. It was only $11,000, but that was before covid.

The van has served us well.

Where I live, i could get by without a wheelchair van. All the buses in the transit system are wheelchair accessible.

The transit system has a service that we can call 24 hours in advance for a dedicated wheelchair van to pick us up and take is anywhere we need to go in town. We have used that service many times.

So, if I did not have a wheelchair van, I would rely on the local transit system. I would rent a wheelchair van only when absolutely necessary.

We have rented wheelchair vans twice. Once when visiting another state and once when our wheelchair van was stolen. Both times went very smoothly, but both were very expensive.

That's so hard to answer. We have a transit issue where I live. Some disabled people must wait over two hours for public transportation to show up. It's cheap but not reliable here. Other places are very reliable.

I've seen Go Fund Me accounts on Facebook for PALS who need financial assistance. If you're forthcoming and explain your situation, people are willing to help.

I'd call my local chapter and explain your situation. This disease is bad enough without having to worry how your wife will get to appointments or go on outings.

Never be afraid to ask for help.

I would agree with making the most of your transit system and, if needed, "Access" program for people using wheelchairs if the stops are too far from your home. If you are in an area with transit, that can take you quite a ways. Van rental on occasion can still pencil out for occasions when regular and on-call transit doesn't work. Regular transit and occasional van rentals are all we did.

Plus, you might put out a notice in local spinal cord injury groups, your ALSA chapter, MS chapter, etc. that you are looking for occasional loans/"vanpools," and that might work out, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back