Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Wa.
City
Puyallup
Hi guys, I just watched the premier HBO movie called You don't Know Jack. It is all about Dr. Jack Kevorkian and the struggles he went through just to give people the CHOICE in the right to die when you are suffering. I am sure just about everyone here has talked about physician assisted suicide. The pros, the cons, the religious aspects etc. If you do a search on TV you can find other times it will be on. It stars Al Pacino. It did have a few people with ALS. Just an FYI.
Hugs, Kari

thats a tough one blubear mostly with the religius side .kevorkian i felt ment well but i truley believe it lyes in thev hands of the lord unless your only living by means of machinery thats just my point of view but good topic

I am going to see if it is on during a time that I can watch it. Thanks for the heads up! hugs

It's such a tough topic isn't it! The beauty of this forum is our ability to love and respect each person's individual journey! Thank you to you all!

I have alway thought it was wrong of him {Dr. [ to do this. Now I have this awful desiease and I wonder how I will feel if I am not able to live out side of my mind? I truly feel myself that we should leave these things to our Lord. On the other hand if I didn't feel that this goes against my own principles, I would do it.... HUgs to everone out there connected with these kind of decisions? L

Ever since I saw Dr. Kevorkian's artwork it has been hard for me to believe that he did what he did out of altruistic motivations.

I KNOW! I saw that on the movie, it is very gruesome and dark. But I think that has a lot to do with his upbringing and his parents constantly telling him about the holocaust. His character in the movie talks about why he does what he does. He is a different cookie in a lot of ways.

For so many the decision is made for them, whether they like it or not. The religious believe it's just plain wrong. I can respect that, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

In my case though, my insurance company makes the decision. If I became terminally ill tomorrow, and it doesn't matter from what, nor does it matter how much pain or discomfort I must suffer, my life insurance policy will not pay out if I end my own life. With four kids to worry about, leaving them nothing would not be an option. The life insurance we had on Liz was the same policy. Not that she would ever have considered suicide but in her situation I know I would have. I may have chosen not to do it but at the very least I would have considered it.

Dick

Ya, this is a very controversial subject. I never knew that the insurance companies wouldnt pay out for physician assisted suicide! I knew they wouldnt for regular suicide, but when you are terminal anyway they should understand! $%#@! My dad will not do it for religious reasons. But, under that theory, if it is Gods will when you die and all, then you are messing with that same theory by extending your life as well with the bi-pap, vents, pegs etc... Will I tell my dad my thoughts on this? Hell no! Personally, and selfishly I want him around for as long as I can have him. On the other hand, if it were me, I am glad that the "option" is at least there. (not that I would take it.....or not)
Hugs to all,
Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back