Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Salmon Arm
A few have noticed that I haven't been on the forum lately, and that is because there has been a new addition to our family. 1 ½ years ago our dog Kona had to be put down, and I felt that there was no way we could have another one given Tim's ALS. One month ago a neighbour brought over a teacup poodle something cross, and she was so sweet, sitting quietly in his lap. Up until this time Tim was a big-dog person and wouldn't talk about it, but we were bitten by the love bug. I got on line and looked up small dogs that don't bark, shed and required less exercise, and the Havanese came up on every count. Then I started checking out breeders, and found one 45 min. away, but alas all 13 puppies were already spoken for, and we could go on a waiting list. BUT, there was one little black one that had been returned because he "whined" too much. We had our hearts set on a sable, but decided to go to his kennel and check it out. Well, I bet you guessed it, we came home with the little black "reject", and our lives became very busy. He does not whine too much, but he does have us wrapped around his little bear paws. His name is Django, short for his official name of Mr. Bo Django, and he is as smart as a whip.

Other news is that the new neighbours' cat managed to get onto our deck, 12' up with no stairs, and killed my little Skittle (yellow canary). I had gone over 5 days earlier and told them that I had chased him off our deck, and that I had 2 birds there. He obviously is a smart cat as he went after the canary and not the parrot, or the story might have been different. The neighbours came over with the canary, and committed to replacing him and the broken cage. My son and his wife came and visited from Calgary and found a beautiful rusty coloured canary that sings every bit as well as Skittles, only louder, and more constant. They said that before they went into the store to get him they prayed that there was a red canary that sang really well. I told them that maybe they prayed a little too hard, but he really is a wonderful singer. He is quite friendly and I think he may even hand-trained.

We have had a lot of visitors, and our garden has been taking some time as well. Tim is doing well, except when the puppy accidentally pulls his ventilator goose neck out of his reach.

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 254
Aww what a cute baby. Congrats. I always look at the pet finder site and see a dog I think I could love but I am afraid I would not be able to take care of it the way I think it should be. I miss my dogs.

Enjoy!

Congrats! So very cute! And a very cute couple. Will he need much grooming? The pup I mean :)

We were talking about getting another dog last fall. Glad we waited since I got my Dx in Feb. Love our big galunck so much and glad I can still wheel him to the dog park for some exercise. They are such great family members.

Welcome back Paulette, lovely photos :)

Nothing better than a warm pup on your lap. Good choice!

What a cute little puppy! That was a great decision to get one. My family is going to get a new one eventually. I'm just waiting for the right time and the right one to come along and tug at my heart. The problem is with dogs is that they all tug at my heart and I can't have hundred of them. lol

The Havanese's hair can grow to 6-8" and does require combing or they get matted. I have trimmed him once already and plan on keeping his fur about 1-2" long, which is called a puppy cut. Most would bring them to a groomer every 6 weeks for a clip, but I am pretty handy with scissors and a clipper. He is very good when he gets a bath, and loves being brushed. since he is so small, when I sit down to watch TV I brush him in my lap. It is funny that he gets really upset when I leave the room, but will not sit on my lap if Tim is near. He loves to curl up on his feet and sleep, so much for me having something to cuddle, but I do enjoy grooming him. He is totally friendly, doesn't bark much except when I am getting his food, and is non-shedding which I love.

Max it is partially your fault with all your dog pictures. I have always had a dog all my life, so it was inevitable, but at least this one can be exercised by throwing a ball around the house. He also swims like a fish, jumped right into my sisters pool, and swam to one of our friends that was in it.

>Well, I bet you guessed it, we came home with the little black "reject", and our lives became very busy. He does not whine too much, but he does have us wrapped around his little bear paws. His name is Django, short for his official name of Mr. Bo Django, and he is as smart as a whip.

CONGRATS! :)

>Max it is partially your fault with all your dog pictures.

:) I am sure Django will bring you much love and joy. I recommend 10 shot/day, keep 1-2 the do a monthly pdf -- make sure you get all of Django in the shot as it hurts when you cut off a tail or foot :)

the one of the two in the picture is when we lived in CH -- you can see Jenny on my back ...

Attachments

• DSC_9801.jpg
    DSC_9801.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_9807.jpg
    DSC_9807.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_9804.jpg
    DSC_9804.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_9797-2.jpg
    DSC_9797-2.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC_9796.jpg
    DSC_9796.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 142
We've always been big dog people, too. We just got a chihuahua, to go with our labrador, in February and my husband has had to admit that he loves him tremendously. It's just a totally different energy. And they're great together, 6 lbs and 60 lbs.

>We've always been big dog people, too

like us and our Irish -- we took in Boots when she needed a foster home ... now both Boots and Beanie crawl under the covers!

I am jealous, tried to get Django to sleep with me as I crave the warm body, but he turns his feet to me and pushes, crawls to the end of the bed and whines while looking at his kennel. I think I am to warm for him, and Tim is always on the cooler side as he can't move. Oh well, maybe when he is older. I will try and get more shots, but his eyes do show up at all because they are black as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back