Diagnosis
05/2007
Country
IRE
State
co.clare
City
kilkee
I am thinking about going on these trial drugs and wondering have any of you tried these drugs. Do not know if my doctor will give to me and is thinking about it. If not could any one advice me on a good company to buy over internet.

What research is being done?

The NINDS supports a broad range of research aimed at discovering the cause(s) of MNDs, finding better treatments, and, ultimately, preventing and curing the disorders. Various MND animal models (animals that have been designed to mimic the disease in humans) are being used to study disease pathology and identify chemical and molecular processes involved in cellular degeneration.

Research options fall largely into three categories: drugs, growth factors, and stem cells.

Clinical trials (using human participants) are testing whether different drugs are safe and effective in slowing the progression of MNDs. Recent clinical trials involving the antibiotic minocycline and insulin-like growth factor (IGF) were negative in that they did not halt disease progression or significantly reduce symptoms. Trial participants who took minocycline had worse outcomes than those who took the placebo (an inactive substance). A clinical trial using increased doses of coenzyme Q10, a naturally occurring compound that the body uses for cell growth and to help the immune system work better, also proved ineffective in treating motor neuron disease.

The antibiotic ceftriaxone has been shown to protect nerves by reducing glutamate toxicity—believed by many scientists to play a critical role in the development of ALS—in a mouse model of the disease. One study found that cellular ability to manage glutamate can alter the course of ALS. The drug is currently being tested in a multi-center human clinical trial.
A NINDS-sponsored clinical trial is studying the safety and effectiveness of lithium, which may help protect motor neurons from damage, in combination with riluzole in treating individuals with ALS.
The amino acid creatine, which has been studied in animal models, can significantly slow neurodegeneration, improve motor performance, and prolong survival. Clinical trials of the drugs, sponsored by the NINDS, will measure change in motor function, strength, pulmonary function, survival, and quality of life.
Interrupting the inflammation process—which plays an important role in the development and course of ALS—might improve outcome in people with ALS. Research using mice found that the anti-inflammatory drug pioglitazone improved motor performance and reduced weight loss and the loss of motor neurons. Another study found that the drug also slowed disease progression. Pioglitazone is well tolerated in humans and is currently used to treat diabetes.
Increased doses of vitamins E and C may benefit some individuals, according to studies using animal models of MND. Additional research is needed before vitamin therapy is tested in humans.
Growth factors are proteins that aid cell survival. Growth factors have had some success in fighting MNDs. Investigators overseas found that vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) delivered to spaces in the brain can delay symptom onset in a rat model of ALS.

Scientists are studying a number of possible treatments, including growth factors, for PPS. Scientists are also trying to determine if there is an immunological link to PPS. And some experimental drug treatments, including pyridostigmine and seligiline, show promise in treating symptoms of PPS.
Scientists are studying how neurotrophic factors may be used to fight MNDs. Neurotrophic factors are chemicals found in the brain and spinal cord that are essential to neuron development and protection. The drug xaliproden may improve the release of neurotrophic factors. Ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) have been shown to slow neuron degeneration in animal models but are not effective in humans.
Cellular and molecular studies, some of which involve stem cells, seek to understand the mechanisms that trigger selective motor neurons to degenerate. This work includes studies in animals to identify the means by which superoxide dismutase gene (SOD1) mutations lead to the destruction of neurons.

In July 2006, NINDS-funded scientists announced a study in which—for the first time—transplanted embryonic stem cell-derived motor neurons connected with muscle in the spinal cords of adult paralyzed rats to restore limited function. The researchers used a combination of transplanted motor neurons, drugs that block naturally occurring signals that hinder axon grown, and a nerve growth factor to attract axons to muscles. The preliminary results of this study will be tested in larger animals to determine if the nerves can reconnect over longer distances and to insure that the treatment is safe before any trials in humans can begin. Results suggest that similar techniques may be useful for treating other conditions such as spinal cord injury, transverse myelitis, ALS, and SMA.
Researchers have used gene therapy to halt motor neuron destruction and slow disease progression in a mouse model of inherited ALS. Cell culture experiments have shown increased production of the proteins that can reduce the severity of the disease following gene therapy on skin cells of people with SMA.
An international study found that RNA interference—used to target and silence a messenger gene—can improve motor neuron survival in a mouse model of ALS.
The excessive accumulation of free radicals, which has been implicated in a number of neurodegenerative diseases including ALS, is being closely studied. Free radicals are highly reactive molecules that bind with other body chemicals and are believed to contribute to cell degeneration, disease development, and aging.

Hi Marypotter,
Have you gotten any information from any sources? My wife, Maura, is on Ceftriaxone. She was too advanced for the trial programs so we are doing it ourselves. I wish that I could report that we are seeing some slowing of the progression. But since we began I think the disease is advancing as the doctors expected that it would without the drug.

In addition we know that Maura has the side effects of gallstones. We take a drug called Ursodiol that is supposed to dissolve those but we know they are there. Still we soldier on because she says she feels better when we are on it. We had stopped for a month when we discovered the gallstones so she knows the difference.

Please write if there is anything that I can add. By the way, Maura grew up in Kilshanny, co. Clare. Two brothers still live there and sister Peggy lives in Kilfenora.

Hi Mary,
I am in the clinical trial of ceftriaxone and have had positive results. I am in my 10th month my trial doctor is very excited with my slow progress and said " the ceftriaxone is working" Please read my posts here and plm for the whole story =)

mary
can you give me a sense of what positive results you have noticed
my spouse was diagnosed in aug and we are sure that this trial would be recommended
I would rather here from the patient not the doctor
thanks for any information

First off I want to let everyone know how my heart just aches for anyone with this illness and the loved ones that are involved.

My brother, Tommy, was diagnosed in July 2010. He started the trial for ceftriaxone 5 weeks ago. Unfortunately, we have only seen the disease progress with no sign of slowing down. Tomorrow he will get a walker. So we have not seen any results from this trial. He also has gallstones from the medince also.

I am very happy for Serenade. I think that it is great that you are seeing slow progress with this disease. I would like to know what you were experiencing before you started the trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back