Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
No prayers needed here. Send boats!

Would if I could! Hope you are safe Marty

Marty- I just read elsewhere that private citizens are organizing to do just that. Be safe, friend. It sounds like it's been, and continues to be, quite frightening.

It's been quite an experience. We've never seen so much wind and rain for so long. The rain blowing sideways for three days and expected to stall here all week. We just went through a heat wave, so the ground was very dry and hard. Fortunately, the fatalities have been low. A lot of rescues going on now. Our thanks and thoughts go out to our brave first responders!

Last edited:
We here in Utah are experiencing a heat wave that is not normal for this time of year.

If I lived in the hurricane prone states, I would get the he!! out of there.

thinking of you all that are in an affected area

I logged on here tonight after not logging in in quite sometime. I came to see if there were any ALS families from Houston area needing help or somewhere to stay. We are fully equipped for A PAL and CAL and even a pet. It will be crowded but we are all in this together. If you need help locally let me know. I have plenty of family and friend that can assist and I can also help.

We are very lucky so far with all our family and friends living in different areas of Houston. Some with minor damage and one evacuated but they are safe and with others dry there.

Marty, another crisis not getting a lot of attention... they are in desperate need of pet supplies, temporary pet shelters, dog food, cat food, kitty litter, bird supplies, people willing to take these pets in temporarily.

Pets are "family" to many. Many people shelters will not accept pets.

My heart is broken... it goes out to those who had to leave them behind.

And... the pets.

PS All the people down there too.

Al, I think the same and it is painful to see the suffering of both people and animals. These pets rely on their people to keep them safe and it's heartbreaking to see. Unfortunately this weather event is so overwhelming and completely unprecedented that animals haven't really been included in the official rescue plans. It has been really heartwarming to see those in the Cajun Navy have made just as much effort to get animals to safety, as many people stayed home with beloved pets instead of abandoning them.

Al, thanks for the reminder- do you have a recommendation for an organization to make donations to?

That was a real crisis here when we had the flood earlier this year and people turned up at the emergency centre with pets and told they couldn't bring animals in.

I believe it is part of the review they are doing here and hope that next emergency they are prepared for helping the animals as well. As you said Al, for many people their pets are as much as art of their family so the emotional turmoil for these people would be just shocking.

Max's wife Sandy has had a lot of water moving through but not in her home and that family is all safe.

Thank you for checking on Sandy, Tillie.

The NRG shelter is pet-friendly. Also, the Texas ALSA is offering help for those needing lodging, equipment, etc.

Houston is my home town and many of my family and friends are affected. 20-30% of the County is under water.

I have friends and cousins there as well. I've been in touch with two of them and they left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back