Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
va
City
Lake Frederick
I just noticed that my sister has a great deal of difficulty sitting up ion her chair now. It looks like she is slipping out of her chair. Why the sudden change? Do you know ways to help her,or does she just needs to sit further back in her recliner?

Sorry I don't know what to tell you. I've noticed the same with my husband. He says his hiney hurts, so he may be trying to adjust himself due to loss of muscle/fat mass.

does she have a cushion of some sort?

I would imagine it is hard to situate yourself in the recliner with loss of muscle or atrophy.

Some PALS use a seat belt affair, I've been told. Even a strap around the chest and a tilt to the seat. I imaging you'd have to experiment...Cindy

Is your sister slipping down in the chair in an effort to get more 'recline'? My husband is not comfortable unless he is leaning back. He used to 'slip down' so that he could get into this reclined position in a chair that had a fairly straight back. Because his neck and back are affected it's not possible for him to sit upright.

Both wheelchairs he uses now have the back inclined so that he can lean back. He also uses a small cushion in the small of his back to assist in keeping the natural curve in this area.

Hope you can discover the reason for the problem and a solution!

I took care of my sister for 6 months in this past year and when she started to slip in her chair one of the things we found to work is to take the rubber mats (, can be bought at wall mart or kmart) that stop rugs from slipping . We put them on her chairs. or under pads that were on her wheel chair and that helped alot. We also took out some of the stuffing in the head rest on her recliner to help cradle her head and body so she would slip, we also wedged pillows, some of the ones with little beads in them works some times or take out stuffing of an old raddy pillow and sew it up in shape you need to stick it on the side of her waist. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back