Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Small City
Hi Everyone,
I am writing, because at this point, I don't know where else to turn. I am trying to remain positive, but truly can't. After recently suffering a miscarriage, I started getting tingly/itchy feet with shooting pains in my feet and hands. (nothing to do with miscarriage). Soon after I started getting muscle twitches, mostly from the knee down. I have been experiencing them elsewhere, but not quite as much as my legs. I noticed during my pregnancy that my legs were weak, especially my left and I suddenly realized that it's way weaker than the other. I had just been chalking it up to pregnancy tiredness. I have completely lost my appetite (and I love to eat!) and the most concerning thing is that I have an incredible urgency to go to the bathroom every five minutes. I also barely have the energy to walk the dog, and I am typically an active athlete. I have been checked for everything possible (all clear) and even saw a neurologist today. The neurologist said that there was nothing that points to ALS at this point and that it was probably a virus affecting my nervous system. I have never even heard of such a thing. I am so grateful to have clean tests, but it doesn't give me any explanation for things. I feel as though I am just sitting here waiting for my left leg to get even weaker, or for something else to happen. I feel so helpless. My husband and mom have been with me every step of the way and I am grateful. I feel as though I am trying to be strong for them at this point, all the while feeling like I am facing the inevitable diagnosis. I would appreciate any advice you can give and hope I haven't offended anyone in asking for help. I have been reading so many of these posts and am in awe of the strength and camaraderie here. Thank you!

I am so sorry for your loss. If the neuro gave you the all clear you should believe him/her. The dr is propably right. Your body has just gone through a devastating loss and your immune ssystem is probably out of whack and to top it off the stress you are under. Sounds like a cocktail for a virus. I am not a doctor but I would suggest rest and relaxation. I wish you peace.

Very sad news about your miscarriage. You have a lot to deal with.

I'm happy the neuro has taken ALS off the table. So should you.

If you are distraught about your symptoms, please return ASAP to your GP to discuss your options. It could be so many many things causing your discomfort. Keep searching for answers but, if you can, temper your efforts with a positive and sensible attitude. A good outlook is the best thing I've come up with to deal with my own situation. I believe in second opinions too, and I also believe time is a great healer of many ailments, be it a virus, anxiety, a cold or grief. Above all, be patient with yourself and your physicians as you get to the bottom of this.

I'm so sorry about your loss. The first 2 neurologist s I saw said no way 'S or ALS. They told me it was pms and to see a counselor and get on something. They also said it had to do with my back but it was my ortho surgeon who knew me for many years who fought for me and finally got me a doctor who would listen. Now I have a great team. YOU and only you know your body. It took me and my ortho doctor 2 1/2 yrs before we found one. Don't give up and if you have to demand an emg. You can find out a lot with that one test.

Thank you all so much for replying and really listening. I truly appreciate it. I am still holding out some hope that I won't have to become a true member. But I know that if I do, there will be supportive people surrounding me. Thank you for your kindness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back