US
State
NC
City
Get Real
Happy Veterans Day to all Veterans.

I served with 1st Field Forces along the Tri Border. I can still can
remember the faces but the names are slipping away. Most of us
are now in our 70s. So many are no longer active on the Internet.
Too many have passed away. But that is for another day.

I want to give a Special Thanks to all the Veterans who were drafted
yet answered their call to duty and country. And… since the draft has
ended... to all those who have joined since then.

Again, Happy Veterans Day,

Thank you for serving, Al. Happy Veterans Day.

This day is always special to me because both my parents, now deceased, served in the military. My Mom was in the Coast Guard (SPAR) in WWII, my Dad served in the Navy in WWII, then switched to the Army during college and was Active Duty for 30 years, also serving in Vietnam. He was a bird Colonel that was the comptroller for the Missile Command at Redstone Arsenal until his retirement. I’m so very proud of them and all veterans, and I honor all of you with a long moment of silence today.

With great respect, Kevin

Thanks to all who served, and those still on duty.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks to everyone who served. I come from a military family, but had health issues that prevented me from serving.

Steve

I think we shared our military family background this time last year, Steve. Air Force, right?

It is a pretty long history of service. While I never served, I still have a pretty good understanding of the sacrifices our veterans have made.
  1. Both of my grandfathers served in Europe during World War I. One was gassed (mustard gas) and had lung problems for the rest of his life
  2. Two uncles served in World War II. One was KAI (navy, USS Franklin). The other was a B17 pilot in the eighth air force
  3. My father started off in the Army, then went to the Army Air Forces, and then the Air Force. He served in both Korea and Vietnam. In total, he served 33 years. He died prematurely from leukemia caused by nuclear radiation exposure from atomic bomb testing.
  4. My father in law served in the Army during World War II (North Africa and Europe)
  5. My brother was career Air Force.
  6. My brother in law was career Army
Kevin, I remember that your father was stationed in the DC area about the same time as my father. We moved there in 1968 after he returned from Vietnam and stayed in DC for a bit over 5 years.

I think it is so important to remember all our veterans every day of the year and especially on veterans day.

Steve

Steve, that’s an incredible list of family service to our country. Thanks so much for sharing.

Yes, I recall the thread last year where we discussed both being in the DC area at the same time. My Dad had three tours at the Pentagon—‘58-61 when I was a little one, ‘66-68, then after Vietnam back to the puzzle palace from ’70-75, where I graduated high school. I’m too lazy to pull up the previous thread, but if memory serves you lived on the Maryland side and we were in Northern Virginia.

Unrecognizable now with the astronomical growth and loss of so much lovely countryside, but I have many fond memories. Still vividly remember the construction of the first Tysons Corner mall that seemed way out in the sticks. Now it’s a huge city. Of course I tend to forget that was more than 50 years ago!

Kevin, we lived in Annandale, Virginia from 1968 until 1973 while my father was assigned to the pentagon. I might have mentioned this before, but there was insufficient space in the pentagon for him, so he actually worked in the Lynn building in Crystal City. Many years later, while my brother was in the Air Force, he also was assigned to the pentagon. Once again, there was insufficient space for him, and he wound up working in that very same Lynn building our father had worked in.

We lived just inside the beltway and I well remember the construction for Tyson's Corner. When I was in boy scouts, we would occasionally camp way out at Manassas. During one tour, when my brother was assigned to the Pentagon, he actually lived outside of Manassas in Bristow and commuted to the pentagon. That was a long drive!

I have many fond memories of living in northern Virginia. I have visited it many times since (worked for two different companies with offices in Alexandria) and you are right, it sure has changed. A lot!

Steve

I don’t know why I thought you lived on the Maryland side. if you went to Annandale HS, a friend of mine named Kurt Jackman went to Annandale in ‘72-73, then ended up at Oakton HS where I went. He was the QB of our dreadful team in ‘74 and ‘75 if memory serves.

Kevin, I don't recall Kurt while at Annandale High School.

I was there for 71-71 and also 72-73. We then moved to Maxwell AFB in Alabama where I went to school for 73-74. After that, we moved the SHAPE headquarters, an international base in Belgium, where I attended Shape American High School in 74-75 and graduated.

In all I attended 3 elementary schools, 1 junior high, and 3 high schools. That was not at all unusual for a military family.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back