Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
Yesterday, Good Friday, I was supposed to go to a 3 pm service. We had an issue in my wing of the condo and lost power from 8am to 4pm. I had to transfer all my groceries to the social room refrigerator and about 2pm we got hit with a very bad storm. I missed the service.

There was another service at 6pm so I decided to go by myself. The service was about the last seven things Jesus said. I've never been to a service like that and I've attended many denominations and non-denominational churches.

When I arrived, the handout said:

YOU are welcome here:
Rich or poor
Large or small
Gay or straight
Documented or undocumented
Healthy or sick
ALL are welcome and ALL means ALL

I never thought I'd make another Catholic church my place of worship but here I am. Week after week I hear sermons lifting up the marginalized, begging us to love others, protecting the environment. I've been going to this church since last Christmas. It's a huge congregation with four services. I got a Facebook message from the Priest and he said, "thank you for getting me. I've looked at your Facebook page and you really get it. You know, Kim, Jesus was very political and He never turned anyone away."

Please let me never turn anyone away or make them feel marginalized.

Since this thread is about religion, may I ask the 7 last things Jesus said?
I don't think I remember this from my years in church both Catholic as a child and Protestant now as an adult.
Cathy

Cathy, I won't be able to articulate what was said about the words but it was deep and, some of the things, I've never heard before. I knew the words from Bible study classes but he went into each of them with a depth that gave me much to think about on the way home.

1. Father, forgive them, for they know not what they are doing.
2. Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise
3. I am thirsty
4. Mother, behold your son. Son behold your mother
5. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me
6. Father, into our hands I commit my spirit
7 It is finished

#3 & #5 relate directly back to Psalms

I think the one that always gets to me is when his mother and John were at the foot of the cross and he was so concerned about them both having each other. I've always suspected that John's gospel was so much about love and also seemed to have a greater insight into Jesus might be because he took Mary in after Jesus died. I wonder if she told him stories about Jesus and if he told her about the things he witnessed.

Last edited:
Kim, Thanks for sharing these words.

Blessed words to think about.

I do recall this all from the stations of the cross discussions during my youth and bible study but have not revisited them for some time.

Cathy

Although Easter Day has passed, I thought I'd share some paintings that have meaning for me:

" The Last Supper", owned by the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. and "Christ of St John of the Cross", are both by Salvador Dali, known for his Surrealist art.

In "The Last Supper", Jesus and God the Father are the only ones "facing" us. The disciples are bowed, two with their backs to us. Christ is primary, unlike Leonardo's, where we usually try to discern which is Judas, and who-is-who. Jesus directs our focus to himself and to God.

To me, the transparency of Jesus illustrates both human and divine. We see him under the sheltering arms of God his father.

The Christ painting is huge. I had the rare opportunity to see it in person in the U.S. It was on loan from the museum in Scotland. It is magnificent.

We always see Jesus from a human and "earthly" perspective, looking up. In seeing him, as God his father saw him, we truly see Jesus as His son.

The "Empty Tomb" speaks for itself. I like the view looking outward into the soft, early light. It creates a feeling that the viewer has just missed something. (Of course, we know what it is.)

I find them striking, beautiful interpretations of the Lenten story. Perhaps you may, too. I hope it was all right to share.
Peace and blessings. B. 8)

Attachments

• The Last Supper by Salvador Dali.jpg
    The Last Supper by Salvador Dali.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Painting  Christ of Saint John-of-the-Cross by Salvador Dali.jpg
    Painting Christ of Saint John-of-the-Cross by Salvador Dali.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 222
  • The Empty Tomb a.jpg
    The Empty Tomb a.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited: