Status
Not open for further replies.
One comment on the shower option, you said it was small. There is a great shower chair buy Shower Buddy Chair with TIlt. We got one for my mom, what was nice is that it has a tilt to it so that when the torso is weak you can let gravity help by tilting it back a bit. But you need to be able to roll into a shower, which is the easiest way to go even in a small space so we remolded the shower a bit to make it a small lip, then a slight ramp to roll mom into the area. If you are building and can just add a ramp --onto a platform or something that might work best.
Monica

Tim is still able to get into the shower, with my help, and says that since it is small he feels more secure. I am still going to get a shower chair, and he can shower with the door open. A floor is easy to mop up. The new house has a 5'X5' roll in shower so there won't be any problems there. We just have to get through the next 2 1/2 months with out any falls.

We spent the last few days cleaning out the family room and converting it into a bachelor suit. We bought a new queen bed, and thankfully Tim says it is much more comfortable than our king. He doesn't like the pillow top as it is hard for him to move on it. We broke down my U shaped computer desk, and used on side for the 55" TV that Tim has been lusting over. (our old TV is 24 years old) Even though my Mac is already here, he wanted his big PC, so it too was set up. He managed to hook it and the TV together, so that he can use it as a massive monitor, as if his 27" monitor wasn't big enough already. Building computers has been a serious hobby of his for years, so we have Mac, and PC wars. Believe it or not he still has a lot of room to wheel around in, even with all that stuff. My sister brought over a spare micro wave that they had, and I am going to get a small bar fridge, so that he can have food handy. 2 1/2 months and we will be in the new house, can't wait.

Looks like you are planning far ahead. We aimed too low. We redesigned a bathroom for a roll-in shower and new commode with a bidet. But it took 10-12 weeks from planning to completion, and in that time I lost mobility so that now I can't get to the new commode.

Last edited:
It is surprising how quickly this disease can progress. We are trying to stay ahead of it, but too frequently we are playing catch up. We will be installing lift tracking in the ceiling that goes from the toilet to the shower. and one that beside the bed to transfer him from his wheelchair to the bed.
Tim got his motorized wheelchair last week, and yesterday we walked, rolled, travelled?, the nine blocks down hill to the new house with our visiting kids. It was fabulous to be outside, and Tim able to be independent. He has the "bounder plus" with the outdoor package, which meant he could motor around the building site, even though it is still undeveloped. The house completion will not come too soon.

There is nothing better than being able to get out and about. When we were building out house we would check the progress every weekend and when they poured the patio out 2 older boys wrote their names in it. That was 23 years ago, the names are still there but faded and worn. maybe you could do something like that, write names on a stud or something. Hugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back