Diagnosis
7/1999
Country
US
State
newjersey
City
lopatcong NJ
l am so frightened something will happen to my husand during the night and we won't be able to reach out to anyone and l Am totally dependant on him l used to sleep with my cell phone But now l have no use of my hands
any ideas

pat

Sorry to hear about this Pat.

Are you able to move about at all on your own? How are your feet and legs?

There are differnt alert systems out there Pat, some require only one push of a buttor (by elbow, chin, foot - does not have to be a hand/finger). We are looking into a scheme here in the UK, which is 24 h alert system that involves sensors and alerts an appointed person. Dani

this might require a bit of rigging, but you should be able to set up some kind of motion sensing device that then places a call for you.

In office buildings you may have noticed that these are used commonly to turn lights back on if a space becomes occupied.

Hope this helps.

- Jerry

I'd suggest life alert if you have use of any limb that can push the button--they will install a speaker in your home that you can talk in--if you can still speak.

In lieu of that--if there is a health issue with your husband, too--have you considered perhaps a live-in person that would put a baby monitor in their room so you can call out if you need help? Or a close neighbor that could have a monitor in their home in an apt. building?

If you can use any limb--perhaps a big-button phone on a land line--pushing 911--even if you can't speak--will get them to the home.

if you can get an ear piece for a cell and use any limb to turn it on--some of the ear buds are voice-activated, I believe. Perhaps the ALSA group in your state might have some ideas, too.

Edit to add--you're using the computer--there is a phone called magic jack--it hooks to your computer--and you can dial it right from the computer--and it has 911 available, too. With a headset--you can use it totally however you operate your computer you're typing on.

can wiggle my feet and legs slightly

someone has to turn on my computer l use my eyes to tpye and my neighbor is too far l can't reach with my hand to my ear so earbud won't work .My husband is well but l am upset being helpless and wil feel better knowing could if l needed
help

thanks for your help

someone has to turn on my computer l use my eyes to tpye and my neighbor is too far l can't reach with my hand to my ear so earbud won't work .My husband is well but l am upset being helpless and wil feel better knowing could if l needed
help

thanks for your help

Perhaps the magic jack would work--if the computer could be left on somehow. They are only $40 to buy--and $20 per year for the number. Pretty reliable, too. I've had mine for 3 years.

If you could sleep with a headset, it might work for you and give you peace of mind. I don't know if you could operate the life-alert with your foot?

Nothing is worse than feeling trapped and helpless. I can understand your concern. Perhaps the life-alert type could be attached to the bed somehow?

Pat
At my last support group a fellow PALS said he has a Cell phone with Droid operating system that has voice recoginition ,he does everything by just talking,might want to check it out.
Jeffro

I have the same fear my husband had a heart attack, he has had five bypasses, three stints, and a balloon surgery so I
know how you feel I have life alert I wear a bracelet on my ankle. My computer also has 911 programed in my phone book
by using my cell phone

HI

I found a device that might help you, Patricia. It's called a Possum. It is in the UK--but I'd bet the US has something similar. It can do everything from dialing the phone to pulling the curtains closed. Lots of hands-free things it can do.

G should pull it up with "Possum assistance technology"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back