Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Bronx
My stepfather has ALS and is having increasing difficulty answering and dialing the telephone. He can just about make it to push a single button on a cordless phone with a speaker.

Can anyone recommend a telephone or telephone product which would allow a person to answer and dial a phone without the use of their hands? Thanks.

kfsaer said:
My stepfather has ALS and is having increasing difficulty answering and dialing the telephone. He can just about make it to push a single button on a cordless phone with a speaker.

Can anyone recommend a telephone or telephone product which would allow a person to answer and dial a phone without the use of their hands? Thanks.

I believe that the MDA will provide a hands free telephone free of charge. You need to register with them if you aren't already and they'll get you set up.

Good luck--

Shannon M.

Hi kfsaer. Welcome to the forum. I have a web site with voice operated speakerphones but I have not had any dealings with them personally. They appear to have quite a few different options that you might find useful
http://www.ablephone.com/

AL.

Hi and welcome!
Have you given any thought to a cell phone? I carry one on my wheelchair, with a headset. It has auto-answer, auto-hangup and voice activated dialling. It also has a two hundred name phone book.
We're on a family plan which means free air time between family members.

Just another option.

Cheers!

In Massachusetts the Verizon folks have free or low-cost hand-free phones for people with disabilities. Don't know if this is true for every region but your local Independent Living Centers should be able to tell. The web has a listing of all state chapters for independent living centers. That's a good place to start... Cindy

That is really valuable information! I can't believe all that they help with. My mom's neighbor gets help with her van from this organization.

http://www.ilusa.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back