Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
I am recently diagnosed and my biggest issues currently are nonstop twitches in arms and nonstop tremor in hands. I would say I have no functional failures BUT this constant popping and shaking makes it hard to do basic things. (If I could harness this energy I'm sure I could power my house - clean energy!) I'm still a month away from my next doctor appointment, so in the interim I'm wondering what has worked well for people to address these issues. Are there meds or OTCs or something else that can at least reduce the severity? Preferably something that wont put me to sleep so I can still function during the day.

Well, we're all so different but the things that make my fasciculations worse are fatigue, caffeine, sugar, and too much exercise. I'm still not sure if my tremors are related to ALS but they get a lot worse when I'm tired or when I've done too much with my hands. Hand tremors run in my family and one niece, who is a doctor, went to a neuro last year just to be sure nothing was wrong. Knowing what I do about overexercise and breakdown of muscles, tremors could mean that your fine motor muscles are weakening.

You could try magnesium. Most of us use it for cramps but some say it helps twitching whatever the cause. I think you take riluzole? That helped my twitching dramatically though not everyone reacts that way.

as Kim says tremors are non specific like twitches are. There are meds for essential tremor

I get what looks like tremor to the untrained eye but is actually clonus. If you are having spasticity there are meds that can help. Avoiding cold is also important for me. And magnesium helps a little.

Yes, I forgot to add magnesium and magnesium oil. I had been taking magnesium to help with a cardiac arrhythmia for years so I'm not really sure if it helps the twitches in me or not. I'm not about to stop in now because it's also good for constipation and muscle relaxation in general.

Just to clarify for undiagnosed people who may be reading this thread — essential tremor isn’t typically part of ALS.

Hopefully the neurologist you see can help sort out if your hands seem to be moving due to fasciculations or clonus or an independent tremor condition. Beta blockers are among the drugs used to manage essential tremors. Magnesium is certainly worth trying. You might also try to eliminate caffeine and cut way back on simple sugars and processed foods. If your thyroid function hasn’t recently been tested, that should be considered.

I am recently diagnosed and my biggest issues currently are nonstop twitches in arms and nonstop tremor in hands. I would say I have no functional failures BUT this constant popping and shaking makes it hard to do basic things. (If I could harness this energy I'm sure I could power my house - clean energy!) I'm still a month away from my next doctor appointment, so in the interim I'm wondering what has worked well for people to address these issues. Are there meds or OTCs or something else that can at least reduce the severity? Preferably something that wont put me to sleep so I can still function during the day.
Funny.... Harness the energy 😀.... Only thing I noticed was that stress or nervous energy seemed to make my twitches worse. One bright side to loosing muscle for me was that there was less to twitch....

Appreciate all the advice. Y'all mention caffeine, sugar, and exercise, and admittedly I get hefty amounts of all those. I will try to cut back. I am indeed on Riluzole, but it hasn't helped my fascics. Just seems to make me slightly nauseous which I'm not enjoying (unless that's the Trazadone). I don't take Magnesium, so I will try that. I think there's some in my multi, but I'm sure not nearly enough. I might have spasticity, not sure. My hands get these weird instant cramps where I have to shake them out really quickly. It freaks people out who are next to me. The whole thing takes less than a second, but it happens regularly - maybe that's spasticity? Oh well, just thankful for what I can still do and taking it day by day.

Most all of us can relate, Eric. They can drive you crazy if you let them, especially during the first few months after they start. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet that works across the board.

I was a very atypical onset (I’m 62) that overnight developed full body fasciculations as my first symptom, with no clinical weakness until several months later. I’ve had 14 months of nonstop twitches, and I’ve found some relief with the following:
* Echo everything Kim said. I’ve also reduced sugar, caffeine and limited daily exercise (I’m still in good shape functionally, but multiple muscle groups are slowly weakening and I must limit overdoing those muscles);
* Time. For the first six months or so, I nearly went crazy obsessing over my “body in motion.” At some point, though, my mind began to filter out the twitching—or maybe accepted—my new normal, and now they don’t have the same mental effect. Unless yours magically stop, you will probably reach this point as well;
Distraction, distraction, distraction. Since you can still move around fine, any chance to distract through activities really helps for that period of time. Eating out, shopping, yard work, card games, etc., can really shift your mind away from the twitching, at least for a couple of hours;
Sleep. I, too am on trazadone, and two 50mg tabs before bed really helps me sleep and seems to calm my fascics. I know I’m still twitching some throughout the night, but when I get up to pee and lay back down, for example, there are far fewer twitches. Hopefully they don’t interfere with your sleep habits;

Good luck trying all the suggestions above. Also keep in mind that research has shown that the location and frequency of fasciculations is not necessarily an indicator that those muscles will fail soon thereafter.

I’m also reminded of a video by Stephen Sherry, who has had ALS for 20 years and is one of Dr. Bedlack’s “ALS Reversal” cases in that his symptoms have stabilized and showed some improvement over the years, for whatever reason. He Is still very functional, but also has constant fasciculations. At one point, he and his wife broke his body into quadrants and counted the number of fasics, and he was revving at about 600 per minute! Damned if he’s still doing well in spite of that, though. Best wishes, Kevin

Last edited:
I had a twitch on the right side of my face for five months. It went away after I stopped eating ice cream every day. Lately, my left eye is twitching and that is annoying. I do have constant twitches in both legs. This year, they moved from lower legs only to my upper legs.

This is a very odd disease and so different in each person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back