Not open for further replies.

Wishful

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hey everyone 32 white female no outstanding medical history besides a recent csection for breech baby. About two weeks ago I was really tired/mildly depressed. I slept for most of 2-3 days straight besides to wake up and feed baby. When I would wake up I noticed some numbness is my hands, which is normal for me. I sleep on my back and am overweight right now (gave birth six months ago and haven't lost any of the weight yet). I tend to sleep with my hands clasped on my chest or stomach and that causes the numbness from lack of circulation. So woke up a few times hands completely dead numb.

After these couple days I started noticing sporadic twitching in both of my legs. Everywhere from my upper thighs to my heel and toes. Never really the same place back to back, not super frequent twitches but consistent twitching. I also noticed hand weakness. For example, I use a bulb syringe to clean snot from my newborns nose and it felt hard to squeeze that as though I was using all my hand strength to just overcome the slight resistance. This was completely new. I do this every morning and had never noticed any even mild weakness before. However it is one of those hindsight issues where I am second guessing if this is just a final point where the weakness became noticeable. It is only in one hand (right hand) and my left one is normally the one that falls asleep from lack of circulation.

It is now two weeks since this onset and I still have this weak feeling in my hand(and the leg twitching). It seems to come and go but always feels off. What I mean is sometimes I feel fine to grip things but when I do it still *feels* weak like that feeling when you wake up in the morning and you just don't have strength right away to grip but I can grip fairly well (not quite as strong as my left hand), and other times I actually cant grip things hardly at all and it *is* weak (like the nerves just cant move the muscle). It also feels as though my right arm may be experiencing some weakness too now.

My symptoms have not gotten worse unless there is some a weakness which I can't tell for sure, but they also haven't gotten any better.

My questions are: does this sound like it is possibly initial ALS onset? Would I notice a change in weakness if it was progressing in such a short time? Did anyone experience anything similar with limb weakness onset? Any examples of what your initial weakness felt like? How long would it take for an EMG to show ALS if I had true weakness? Have seen quite a few stories of people having symptoms and EMG came back not showing ALS because it was too early then they were later diagnosed.

I appreciate any insight.

You have described numb hands, twitching, and a weak sensation in your hands, occurring within 6 months after giving birth. No, this does not suggest ALS. Numbness is absolutely not a feature. Twitching is common and nonspecific, and ALS is about failing, not feeling. So a hand wouldn’t simply feel weak, it just wouldn’t work. Anxiety and sleep deprivation could all be playing a role here. If the hand numbness and sensation persists, be sure to get checked out for carpal tunnel syndrome. Forget about ALS and enjoy your baby.

Iron, calcium and/or B-vitamin deficiency are common after hospital stays/surgery/when short of sleep/time to eat nutritionally. If anything, you might consider a B-complex (only 100% RDA) and/or some red meat or some beans and rice, fruit smoothie, etc.

Congratulations on your new baby.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate you both taking the time to reply.

Hello. I am sorry to come back, I am not going to be one of those people you constantly tell they are fine and they keep coming back with new symptoms. This is just a followup from a doctor visit I had. My doctor didn't spend any of the time acknowledging my hand concerns, but rather spent the entire visit saying I was depressed and trying to put me on Zoloft.

My question is related to my hand 'weakness' i was/am experiencing which has started having twitches recently after about a month of 'weakness'. Does this look like thenar atrophy at all? If so should I schedule another doctor's appointment to have them do something beyond the mi imql testing that was done, or would you say no doctor is going to take it much more serious than she did? She tested knee and elbow tendon reflexes then arm push/pull strength which were all fine.
Z459v

NhVYe

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

no, think concentration camp and you will know what an ALS hand looks like.

I'm sorry you are still worried, but you don't have clinical weakness and you don't have visible atrophy, so please work with your doctor to figure what is going on and let your doctor direct this and let ALS go.

Honour what you said that you won't be one of those people ... all the best

What Tillie and Karen said.

I'm not sure what stories you are referring to, when you say you have seen "quite a few" people later diagnosed that had clean EMGs up front. As we have mentioned in another thread, that's not a common occurrence at all, but it has attained urban legend status judging by the posts here.

Postpartum depression is a real thing for some women. Only you know if you have the symptoms and if so, if it is getting better. If you need help with it, it is worth addressing on all fronts. But you're in the wrong place here.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back