00/0000
Country
UK
State
NI
City
Belfast
Hi everyone.

I'm a 32 y/o male. First of all, I have a GP appointment booked for Monday 11th Oct, so already pursuing medical advice on this, I'm just curious to see what people think. My symptoms started with numbness and tingling in ring and little finger of left hand. I know this is not indicative of ALS. However, over the last few days I have definite weakness in all my fingers and thumb of left hand. I have found I can no longer cut my finger nails on my right hand (using my left hand). I can't press the strings down hard enough on my guitar. I also can't twist a cap off a bottle with the thumb and forefinger of my left hand, whereas I can with my right. I am getting random twitches, most notably in my calves, tongue, hands and just above my knee and elbow.

My doctor asked me over the phone if I was having any balance problems, sight issues or neck pain, which I am not (I think he was probably checking for MS signs here?) I have no hand, elbow or wrist pain at all, just the numb feeling in fourth and fifth fingers and down the side of the left hand under the fifth finger.

The loss of mobility was very sudden. I was playing guitar fine one day, then the next it was impossible, like I was picking a guitar up for the first time.

I read a research paper today on an ALS case involving a 35 y/o female that reported initial symptoms of hand numbness/tingling/weakness, that gradually got worse and worse until ALS was formally diagnosed and death very sadly occurred 9 months later. So I'm sure you can see why I am apprehensive about this!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi I see this is not the first time you have been worried about ALS. I understand this is different but please realize it is not normal to jump to ALS with such symptoms. It is far far far more likely to be a local issue such as nerve compression

re the “ research paper” it sounds like a case study. Case studies are written exactly because the cases are very very unusual and way out of the norm. They are essentially anecdotes

you don’t find papers saying we saw a 60 yo man with painless foot drop that slowly spread. He was diagnosed with ALS and died 2 years later because that is the way the disease goes.

to find that you clearly did a lot of googling. Did it help you in any way?

I am glad you are seeing your doctor. Do not try to force them to look at ALS. You will only hurt your chances of getting a quick answer. Let them direct your treatment and testing

Thank you for your replies. My GP noticed weakness in left hand (positive Froment's sign) and slight wastage in the muscles between thumb and first finger. He also noted brisk reflexes at all points and fasciculations in affected hand. Got blood tests to do. If that comes back clean, he will refer me for NCS. Strangely, I have felt a bit of strength come back to my little finger and ring finger, whilst the strength in thumb seems to have worsened.

Please do let us know once you have a diagnosis as it really does help everyone who worries about twitching and finger issues.
Truly, after 2.5 years of worrying, all you have are some twitching and some finger issues that come and go, I don't feel ALS in anything you are reporting.

Thanks so much for your time. I will update when I get any further news. Ulnar nerve damage is looking like the likely culprit right now, so hopefully things don't progress.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back