brentale

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
Hi All,

Thank you for your time in reading this post.

This is my first post and have read your guidelines. I will make sure I've posted appropriately.

General onset of weakness began about two weeks ago in my right hand. I first noticed fatigue and a dull ache in the palm and fingers of the right hand. It's progressed to the point where I can't straighten out my fingers or open my hand from a full fist. My fingers get stuck mid-extension, as if there is resistance and remain curled unless I use my other to push them all the way back. It's recently become more difficult to hold shopping bags, my nephew or even my phone, where the muscle fatigue now seems to be creeping up my right arm now.

In terms of fasciculations, this came on prior to the weakness in the right hand. They seem to be widespread and constant. They're predominately occurring on the base of my tongue, right bicep, my legs and feet with reoccurring muscle spasticity of the right thumb. Week on week, the fasciculations seem to be coming on more regularly.

Other symptoms include extreme fatigue and exhaustion, with severe light-headedness throughout the day.

I saw my GP yesterday, where they conducted a motor exam that involved squeezing and testing strength and motion of both hands. All came back normal and said there's no cause for concerned. They have however referred me to do a full brain and spine MRI, along with a EMG / NCV test despite these normal results...

I do apologise in advance, as have very little understanding of this disease. So please tell me to bugger off if I am in the wrong place. I worry that this is early onset symptoms of the ALS and it has become extremely stressing as my symptoms seem to progress.

Kindly,
Brent

It sounds like your GP has referred you for appropriate tests. I am sure you are worried, but the odds against ALS are still greatly in your favor. Do let us know your results when you have them.

Best,
Laurie

Hey mate we won't quite say bugger off, but honest they are just running routine tests to be thorough.
The clean clinical exam is the great indicator for you.
Let us know how it goes.

Thank you lgelb and affected on your replies.

Would you be able to say these kind of symptoms are early on set?

No, the clinical exam indicates great news for ALS.
But you need to ask your GP and then the neurologist what they think as they are the ones examining you.
Honestly, going from a few twitches to terminally ill in 2 weeks is more of a concern than anything.
Go back and talk to your GP about this side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back