Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
IL
City
Champaign
I have been having some worrisome symptoms in my left hand that have me worked up to the point of feeling sick currently.

5 days ago while doing nothing out of the ordinary I noticed my ring and pinky fingers on my left hand spasam. They were like being pulled down somewhat and towards my palm. It did it off and on shortly and went away. I could sometimes reproduce it by balling my fist. I had a brief episode of the same thing the next two days.

It has been two days since my last episode of that, however I have noticed other symptoms with the same two fingers since then that have me worried about ALS. When I open both hands the gap between my ring finger and middle finger on my left hand is significantly closer than on my right hand. If I go to tense my fingers while they are stretched out, my ring and pinky fingers on the left hand don't look or feel the same as my right hand. These two fingers feel clumsy and uncoordinated. I can still type on a key board, and they can still move but doesn't seem to be the same as my right hand.

I have an EMG with my neurologist in 3 days. I have had an mri of the brain and spine that both showed nothing back in August. There is no pain associated with this nor numbness or tingling which is why I am afraid it is not an ulnar nerve entrapment or something along those lines and to me, all signs point towards ALS starting in my left hand.

know I should hopefully know more in a couple days, however my anxiety is getting the best of me right now and this is the only other place outside of my doctor that I feel I can get insight. I asked my pcp about early onset Parkinson's but said my symptoms don't point to that at all, said he doubts ALS but didn't seem to reassuring on that subject.

I'm a 26 year old male. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
ALS is failing, not feeling. All you are describing is cramps or spasms that many healthy people have. And you don't have to have numbness or tingling to have nerves/muscles that get irritated with overuse, sitting on them, or for no known reason.

Good luck with the EMG; let us know what happens, but I don't see reason to worry about ALS, Parkinson's or anything else serious. You might try a little magnesium lotion on the fingers.

Best,
Laurie

I appreciate the reply. I have not had cramps. What classifies as failing? I know that might be a silly question and I apologize if so, but I can't do some of the things I can with the fingers on my left hand that I can on my right. I can move them all around, but tensing them they are not as strong and like I said earlier my ring finger sits closer to my middle finger and my pinky seems to kind of sit underneath my ring finger somewhat. I don't know if that makes sense or means anything at all but wanted to be clear. Again, thanks for the response.

"Failing" is being unable to grasp an object, open a door, etc. I understand you see and feel a difference, but clinically that does not equate to a significant difference in muscle or nerve function.

Jared-

You were on the forum a few weeks back as well, asking questions. I am not sure you are doing yourself any favours by returning here before your emg, when you can get definitive answers from your doctor.

You are right sir, and I know that. And I know I can't get answers here but my anxiety leads me here hoping for a bit of assurance one way or the other I guess. I've had other symptoms that iniated the neuro consult and lead to the EMG, those symptoms went away and this one is brand new. I guess I hope it goes away as well but it's sure unlike the others and has me worked up. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

You are right sir, and I know that. And I know I can't get answers here but my anxiety leads me here hoping for a bit of assurance one way or the other I guess. I've had other symptoms that iniated the neuro consult and lead to the EMG, those symptoms went away and this one is brand new. I guess I hope it goes away as well but it's sure unlike the others and has me worked up. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

1) Have your anxiety lead you to a Doctor. We're busy enough with ALS, and have NO time for other problems such as health anxiety.

2) ALS symptoms don't "go away"

I had my EMG done today and my neuro told me the exam looked like myasthenia gravis. They did blood work to further check. I, still nervous, asked about ALS and she said no. I said like 100% sure and she said yes. So it's dumb, I know, that I am asking this but I really want to anyway. Would anyone know if MG and ALS would show up the same on an EMG or would they look different and it's easy to tell from one another? I guess the only thing that I remain nervous about is that my blood work comes back clean, then is it back to the drawing board? I know she told me no ALS and I am releived, but there's still that last question that I'm unsure of.

Take your doctor's good news and rejoice.

Asking silly questions, questioning your diagnosis, is evidence of issues that involve neither MG or ALS.

Move on.

Last question. If they did my EMG on the right side of my body and I am having some symptoms on my left side, would it still pick it up if it were not done in my left side?

Last question. If they did my EMG on the right side of my body and I am having some symptoms on my left side, would it still pick it up if it were not done in my left side?

yes, it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back