Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Kingwood
Is ALS related hand stiffness worse at night?

Does it seem to work itself out throught the day?

Can CTS mimic ALS symptoms?

Ah, something I forgot to ask: My wrists and hands crack like crazy now, but mainly in the morning or after long periods of inactivity. Is that common in ALS cases or could that be something else?

JAndrew,

Do you mean Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? If so, I've had it and it is painful, kind of like electrical shocks going through the hand. Never really had the cracking of joints.

My husband has ALS and he says stiffness is dependent upon activity.

Weakness and loss of dexterity could be symptoms of both ALS and CTS, the pain from CTS would not be similar in ALS. (But, hey, Im not a doc :mrgreen:)

jon,

Carpel tunnel pain and stiffness is worst at night alot of people claim it wakes t
hem up in the middle of the night.
I am not diagnosed yet but my stiffness seems to be worst in morning.

With ALS, in his case, the stiffness worsens with activity since he is using muscle that is wasting and basically overworks it and he pays for it the next day. The stiffness will go away if he simply rests. Then again, he gets stiffness in one leg for no reason. Could be arthritis, who knows? What I do know is that ALS sucks greatly and I hope you don't have it!

Crystal,

that is such great news, thank you so much.

CJ,

thank you for the information. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jon

I also have found that my fingers,wrists, snap and pop like crazy as well as the feet not sure why this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back