Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
Many people asking "Do I have ALS" have posted videos and photos of their hands and their tongues to ask us if we agree there is atrophy.

Because of this, I look at my hands and feet and arms and legs a lot. And over the years, they have changed significantly, even remarkably.

Sometimes my left and right legs differ by an inch. Sometimes my hands have indents, sometimes they have outdents. Sometimes I can clearly see twitches running across my tongue. Sometimes my tongue seems asleep.

The only thing of significance I see is that my waistline has grown over the years.

Note that I am perfectly healthy. No ALS. No nothing.

I have never seen a photo or a video posted on this site that was useful toward advising someone. Every time, it seems, we members end up just saying your photo is more than useless, it's gross.

Bodies change. Unless one of your limbs looks like a concentration camp survivor, we probably can't see anything of significance.

Bodies do change. And the only ones that are symmetric are in wax museums.

Mike,
I was a runner, muscular and thin. I kept track of my strength and measurements, just for my own purposes. 20 years ago one thigh was 18 inches and the other 19.5 inches. that was way before I got symptoms. I have always been asymmetrical. Even one eye is slightly different than the other in looks. My mother noticed this on me as a child. she was an artist and even did a painting of me that showed it.

Bodies sure do change. My A## is proof!!!!!

My right leg (dominant side) is bigger than my left. As well, my right eye is slightly more squinty than the left, I have twitches in my arms and legs constantly (I work out alot), and my right bicep is twitching as I type this.

I DO NOT HAVE ALS, my husband does have ALS, though, and he has almost no twitches.

Thank you for posting this thread Mike. You're right, posting pictures of limbs, other body parts and tongues especially, is kinda gross. Sorry...

My husband's left leg looks like skin and bones beneath the knee. That's what atrophy is.

It is funny you started this thread, Mike. The last week I have had fasciculations in my arms, hands, back, legs,and face with some cramping.sometimes when I am really tired I cant comprehend well and my reflexes are messed up. I dont have als but I have some weird things that happen to my body.

Mike, thank you - thank you and all that have posted on this subject above. I know about hand atrophy. A while back I was having issues with my hand - dexterity - strength but I really hadn't noticed any appearence change, guess I wasn't looking. (From years of using my hands with tools, broken fingers, hammer hits and the many times I should have worn gloves. My hands sure don't look like those of a concert pianist) :)

About a year ago during a Neuro appointment my Neuro pointed out atrophy to the med student with him. Then a conversation of Split Hand Syndrome. I'm sitting there like a spectator. On the way home I kept looking and when I got home too. Saying... "Dang." I Really said, "Damn... really?" Ann kept looking at my hand. Then... I said my favorite phrase, "Ok... it is what it is."

So, I guess I'm trying to tell future posters... only a Neurologist can determine true atrophy. Showing us "selfies" of a hand or leg will not confirm atrophy... from us.

If one were to post a true picture of hand or leg atrophy I'd be the last to reply... "Oh oh...that is definitely atrophy!" That's a neurologists call.

Anywhooo... Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back