Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
Claremont
I have heard (from you great people in this forum) that PALS with hands that still work but are fasciculating and not yet atrophying should try to stretch the fingers out straight whenever possible. I would like to sleep with something on my hands to stretch out my fingers, so, what do you recommend and where can I get it?

Thanks in advance...

If you look in the general discussion area there is a sticky called hand atrophy pictures on post #40 on page 3. . There is a link with hand braces. You can get them through your Occupational therapist.
AL.

Thanks Al, I went through the images twice and don't see any links. Where are they. Our OT is worthless.

Sorry should have been more clear. Links were for pics not for braces. Most larger hospitals have ortho clinics and your GP should be able to do a prescription for you. The lab will know what you need.
AL.

Great suggestion Al, I will get the GP to do something. (easier said, than done)

I am new to the forum, but have been in the field of Occupational Therapy for 10 years. There are MANY stretches and massages you can do for atrophied hands to maintain the current strength and prevent further deformity- same goes for splints. Until you can get to a Dr. or OT - you can fabricate a splint pretty easily. Some people use a washcloth roll inside their hand wrapped Loosely with tape or ace wrap. ( just enogh to hold washcloth in) just be sure to clean and DRY the area daily. There are many types of splints depending on the current problems and what exactly you are trying to accomplish ( increased range of motion, prevent deformity, protect joints) Hope this helps. Wish I was there, you could come see me! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back