Not open for further replies.

DW1985

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hey guys , thank you for the time for reading my post. I have a question about als and muscle wasting. I am right handed. That being said , the muscle on the back of my hand between my thumb and index is much smaller than my left. I work with my hands everyday and growing aware of fatigue in my right thumb. I’m unsure if my right hand muscle has always been this way. The muscle is harder than the left when flexed and also has more grip strength when tested on a grip scale. My fear is that I’m losing muscle size , but parts of that muscle fibers are building up and keeping my grip strong but to fail when the wasting gets to the rest of the muscle ? I’m scheduled for an EMG Jan 30th. I guess my question is ….would als cause the entire muscle to go soft before wasting or just parts of that muscle until you have clinical weakness ? Thanks for your time.

I’m 36 male btw.

The most likely explanation is a localized injury, possibly from overuse. These are usually helped by exercise, hand therapy, and adjustments to how you use the hand.

The ALS wasting segment by segment idea is less likely, especially since you have preserved dominant hand grip strength. So I expect your EMG will be reassuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back