Diagnosis
11/2005
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
I'm becoming leery of shaking hands with people.

My ALS has primarily affected my hands so far - and there has been significant muscle loss in my right hand.

I'm still working and would prefer that my clients not know that I have ALS for as long as possible.

I have to shake hands with people a number of times a day - and often I have to shake hands with some meathead who attempts to establish his masculinity by crushing my hand with all of his strength - macho testerone garbage - a year or so ago I could play along and give as good as I got - now I just don't have the muscle.

It's really starting to bug me - I almost feel like slugging these jerks as I feel my bones being crushed.

I think I'm going to start carrying around a hand buzzer with a few hundred volts to give these guys a taste of their own medecine.

Hi,
How about a light, flexible wrap on your hand/wrist, so you do not have to shake hands at all - just point to the wrap - hurt wrist.

Hi Upila,

I thought about wrapping an elastic bandage around my hand - but then they might ask questions if it's always there.

I was also thinking about sneezing into my hand just before I shake :D

How about one of those carpel tunnel braces... or stainless steel gloves... maybe a hook... and a patch over your eye! OOps stepped over the line!

T.

Well, now guys!
Patches and hooks (might as well add a puffy shirt...)
-:)

Still, I say it is better to put something around your wrist - better to be safe, than be hurt by someone in this manner. So, what if it lasts for a while - you have complications, requiring that your hand is held immobile.

Hey Richard did you say a few weeks ago that you can't pick your nose anymore? Picking before shaking might discourage the hand shake. When someone does that to me I just let out a yelp and it usually humbles them. I usually say siomething like Geez don't forget the guy with the muscle disease hasn't got much strength left. That too might not work in your case because you are still trying to hide it.
The carpal tunnel brace or some of the others at Home Shoppers Drugs will work as well. Just tell people it's strained tendons and your doc says you have to wear it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back