Diagnosis
12/2007
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Conneaut
My father is 65 years old. He complains about being weak. He has lost muscle in both hands between his thumb and his index finger. Is this typical of ALS and what everyone is refering to atrophy, muscle lost? He never complains about muscle cramps or twitches so maybe thats a good sign? Unless that occurs at a later stage?His speech is slurred as we originally thought he had a stroke. He has a difficult time utilizing his hands for everyday objects. He has to go for the pin test for data to formally diagnosis him with ALS. His MRI and blood work came back negative for it. His hands are the only physical part that you can visible see deteriation.

In fact I also wanted to ask how does hand atrophy happen? I mean, except the weakness, what do you feel? Do you feel anything?
What I have is that I was waking up every night sine a year with my hands benumbed, now I feel them weak, and sometimes they are getting hot, the skin is red, and it hurts me inside, I feel them dry, and like they are suffering fron something, like irritated or infected inside, but this is unlikely to be that, so I just wanted to ask if this could be a sign of hand atrophy? Or what else?
Thanks

Hi,

You may want to see the pictures Al posted. Look on the main page and click General Discussion About ALS/MND then click on Hand Atrophy Pictures. The fingers curl and the muscle in hand look sunk. Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back