Diagnosis
07/2018
Country
UK
State
England
City
Newton Aycliffe
Jim has been having hallucinations for past few weeks now. Is that part of MND/ALS?

Not that I've heard!

Is / was there dementia, too?

Watch out for:

1. Hypoventilation with CO2 retention
2. Infection— common sources are lungs and urinary tract
3. Medication side effect

Adjust trilogy settings, check for fevers and notify his physician.

His breathing was getting worse. We just waiting for ambulance to take him to hospice. Hopefully he will be there only for few days to manage his symptoms.

My husband has been having them for a couple of months. We went to the hospital and they determined there was NO infection--between the medication required to keep him pain free and ALS (which can damage the frontal lobe), this is disease progression. If you find no infection, have his meds reviewed. Unfortunately, it could very well be damage to his frontal lobe.

Hopefully they can determine the cause of his symptoms while he is there, they can check on the possibilities that Karen mentioned. Due to his breathing difficulties they will probably look to see if he has pneumonia but I would be sure they did an ABG ( arterial blood gas) to determine if he is having CO2 retention which is the bigger breathing issue ( vs O2 ) for people with ALS. Wishing the best for you. Kate

Echoing much already said - yes PALS can suffer hallucinations from meds, because of CO2 retention, acute infections and damage to frontal lobes. The order I just put them in is roughly the order of reasons I've noticed it reported.

Please let us know if they can help stop this by meds adjustment or breathing assistance.

The doctor gave him a preliminary exam and she said he could have oral thrush. He had helicobacter few months before he had his gall bladder out in Dec. Was put on very strong antibiotics.. She also said that could be the cause of nausea and lack of appetite. he has to undergo further tests next week including a scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back