Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
Hello All -

This is my first post. I have not received an ALS diagnosis, but due to my Gulf War Service/Syndrome I am deathly afraid of this disease. I feel like I have been showing very early symptoms for a few years now. Many of them may attributed to my Gulf War Syndrome, many point away from ALS, a few point to it. I already have a 100% VA disability rating due to the Gulf War Syndrome, the $250,000.00 VA life insurance.

After reading through several of the "Read This First" posts, I know I should request a Neurology appointment. I have had several MRI's in the recent past due to the chronic pain (GWS), so they have ruled out MS. I have been told that I have some nerve damage that can to be clinically explained, they think it may be due to my 13+ years as a paratrooper, hard landings and smacking my head around, causing some spinal cord damage.

Things that worry me:
Trouble swallowing - I choke on something I am eating about once per week, and really need to concentrate on swallowing to ensure I don't. Small bites and lots of chewing.

I bite my tongue and or lips or cheeks alot.

I bruise easily, and don't know how I got them. I also cut, or hurt myself and don't know where or how I did it. It also seems to take a very long time to heal from anything.

Positive Hoffmann's reflex - with no explanation

Hyperreflexia - All over

Clonus - bilateral

Other symptoms/Issues:
Chronic Migraines
Chronic wide spread pain from pinched nerves in my back
Back Spasms
Fibromyalgia
Irritable bowel syndrome
Memory Problems - short and long term
Chronic fatigue

Again - I know I should request a Neurology appointment and I will send a message to my PCD today. I am just venting and looking for a place I can talk about my concerns before my next Dr. appt without causing my family to worry.

Thank you all for letting me vent.
Rob D - DPain

Hi
You are right that you need a neurology referral. Gulf War Syndrome does terrible things to your body and I think your answer will fall under that heading but the doctors will tell you more after a neurology evaluation
Most of what you are going through has nothing to do with ALS
Clonus, hoffman's hyperreflexia, yes they happen in ALS but in many other things as well. Swallowing issues- somehow your description does not sound like ALS to me but again talk to the neurologist.
We have had a few other Gulf War threads one not that long ago. Do a search and see if the discussions are helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back