Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
There are days in winter when the sun sets so quickly that you expect to hear it rend the icy evening air as it falls. I imagined I could hear it over the roar of semi trailers tearing along the highway that B3 and I were valiantly trying to cross in Melbourne's western suburbs. 'Coldest Day' records were being set across the country while we navigated through six hours and 300 something km of connecting trains and busses to arrive here at The Guiding Star Hotel. A beacon of light promising warmth and shelter now beconned to us from the far side of one vast and final intersection and six lanes of peak hour chaos.

"Mate, it's usually $90 for the disabled room, but we're giving it to you for $75 'cause the heater's broken". (Thankfully I had heard a rumour of the disabled room's disability and had packed my own heater!) A fellow wanderer dressed entirely in black canvas and scuffed leather turned a wizened, long haired face to me over his tattooed and beer-bended elbow, and gave me a slow head-to-toe appraisal. Then he offered to guide me to my room. Evidently one of the local wise men, and certainly a good bloke.

I had found this place on-line; described as 'one of Melbourne's strangest old-school pubs, set in an industrial wasteland'. What the blurb tactfully omitted to mention was that the Guiding Star is also located snugly beside an abattoir. The smell is appalling: a hideous olfactory beacon, just in case The Star should ever cease to offer its guiding light. But the food was brilliant! Served in the bar, by no-nonsense staff, hospitable to the core. Home away from home!

But all this fun was only the beginning of the adventure. The serious journey would be an inward one, scheduled to begin at 9am the following day.

For some unknowable reason this giant highway intersection in the middle of nowhere has a pub on one corner, an abattoir on another, and a disability showroom on a third. The Independent Living Centre has on display every species of aid from wheelchairs to weighted cutlery. For the purpose of this essay I'm choosing the Attendant Propelled Mobile Shower Commode Chair (item 11:45:037), available in fetching surgical stainless steel and white plastic, as an example of their wares. This accessory makes a robust attack on most readings of the word ‘Independent’. And like so many of the devices on display, its design has a wordless power to chill the core of a man. I realised I had come all this way to voluntarily subject myself to several rounds of intimidation with liberal doses of confrontation and more than a hint of sobriety. One half of my brain was freaked out by the stark medical realties that various items imply, while the other was quietly intrigued by the useful possibilities that various devices might offer. The therapists who were there to guide me through this emotional minefield were, as health professionals always seem to be, dedicated, kind and wise.

I left the centre with a voice amplifier on loan. It's a small, jet black, understated device. Next to the Attendant Propelled Mobile Shower Commode Chair, the voice amplifier it is svelte and sophisticated; but it is, nonetheless, the first step down a new avenue of assistance. The amplifier works a treat. Its effect is like a cool zephyr in a heatwave, or a log fire on a chilly night. This thing really works! But that's exactly how I responded to a pair of timber canes a while back (the ones that gave me an air of old world sophistication!), and then my embarrassing secret elbow crutches, and even good old Bugger! Each one was marvelous ... for its season. I can't help but wonder: how slippery is the new season’s slope? Unlike a wheelchair, even a power wheelchair, the voice amplifier is not a common device. I’m sure I've never seen one before, and my troubled assumption is that no one else has either. I worry that it will alarm my family and friends.

Guiding stars and wise men appear in the most unlikely places. Sometimes they are sent to us; other times we travel far to find them. Wise men wear odd disguises too, and are found as often among the humble of this world as they are among the great; and at least half of all wise men are women. More I should think.

Guiding stars and wise men. How essential they are on the curious journey of life; and how grateful I am to have found so many of both!

Rejoice!

What an awesome description..thank you so much for sharing!

Roderick, as always it is a pleasure to read your writings, you have a way of expressing your thoughts and adventures I can only dream about. How was the train ride? I hope it went smoother than your previous bus adventure.
Not to rub it in but we are in the mid 70s with beautiful blue skies here in Southern California.
Jim

Thank you Roderick, I just love to read about your adventures.....so enjoyable!

I hope your speech amplifier works well for a good long time, Roderick. The path ahead and all that it may require is daunting. For me, talking to my friends and family about it beforehand seems to help. It's a way to make the transition gradual and less of a jolt. Being here where there are such varieties of impairment and common sense answers is even more helpful. I have found that looking at a specific problem from a far distance is actually much worse than having arrived at that point.

Your writing is always such a treat to read. And I'm glad you made all the necessary traveling changes; the buses and train trips. To me, that sounds very daunting.

I hope your speech amplifier works well for a good long time, Roderick. The path ahead and all that it may require is daunting. For me, talking to my friends and family about it beforehand seems to help. It's a way to make the transition gradual and less of a jolt. Being here where there are such varieties of impairment and common sense answers is even more helpful. I have found that looking at a specific problem from a far distance is actually much worse than having arrived at that point.

Your writing is always such a treat to read. And I'm glad you made all the necessary traveling changes; the buses and train trips. To me, that sounds very daunting.

Anne, I think you are so right about the problems being worse at a distance. I feel that there is a grace that is available only when we arrive at the place where it is needed. A provision, a providence. Its one of the things that I find most reassuring about the future, because it can look rather bleak at times and yet everything Ive experienced so far reassures me that when the time comes, it will be as peaceful and joy filled as it is now. So I hope!

I trust you are well Ann.
R.

Thank you, Roderick, I am well. I'm trying to locate a quote I'll put on your messages when I've found it, which goes well with what you're saying. I think I "located it", meaning I remember where to find it on the computer. Reading biographies and autobiographies from earlier ages helps me tremendously. Suffering is still all around us, yet in a way it's hidden for the most part... as you said, the dis-abled are not easily looked at. The earlier writers wrote about it as an expected part of life... and as a result, can be very helpful. Likewise, your writing will give help to others. I feel sure of that.
Blessings,
Ann

Roderick,
I am awed by your writing ability. I enjoy every episode. I read your words and have a new appreciation for everything my wife went through. Thank you, for finding this forum and sharing your travails with us.
Dick

I'm loving the Voice Amplifier!

It makes a great difference at home and in public, and has considerably increased the ammount of conversation I can sustain. One of life's great pastimes!

Every device you depend on is a little unnerving though!

R.

Good, Roderick! I'm so glad it's helpful. Yes, it is unnerving when thought about. We're very dependent... but we always were, whereas now we're just aware of it.

So true; the whole world relies on assistive technology to greater or lesser degree; and in our western world the degree is pretty high! Ours is just not of the normal kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back