Great News for Vets; Good News for Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
>I learned yesterday that UC Irvine has a policy of not asking if their ALS patients are veterans, as it has happened to at least two others recently. Bastards!

that should be reported to your pva!

that is incredible! congrats. we should be upfor the van in next weeks (we've been saying that for 9 months).

I got my Van before I got my PWC. IT has been great. Just finished my home remodeling as well.

Our remodeling is taking a long time. We are just about to start the construction - 1 year 5 months since we met with the housing agent.

The van was pretty quick. Two years after he got the first one we traded it in for a second one. The VA will pay for a new conversion twice in every four year period. We had different equipment put in this time to suit the current needs. Equipment can be added at any time if needed. Equipment doesn't fall into the policy of twice in a four year period.

VA has required the loss of ability to walk to qualify for a wheelchair-carrying vehicle grant. This is often too late for PALS. Thanks to a new friend in Enumclaw, Wash, and widow of a PALS, and her politicking with VA, they will soon allow immediate grants to vets with ALS.

Good news indeed, thank you. I went to the VA for the PWC 'fitting' and was told to expect a 3-4 month wait time; exactly 3 weeks later the PWC had arrived! Amazingly quick.
Right now she's parked in the garage because I don't have the aforementioned loss-of-use.
Paperwork is in so we'll see how it goes, but no matter the outcome I have nothing but good things to say about the VA.

Our remodeling is taking a long time. We are just about to start the construction - 1 year 5 months since we met with the housing agent.

Hey Mary!
We first met with the agent in March, had the contract submitted a couple months ago and heard this week that we're about 3 months from getting a decision. with any luck we'll break ground about 1 year from that first meeting.

Point to take away is ACT EARLY AND GET THE BALL ROLLING!:shock:

>Right now she's parked in the garage because I don't have the aforementioned loss-of-use.

:) just crossed 500 miles running the dogs, no van, nowhere else to go :-(

>
:) just crossed 500 miles running the dogs, no van, nowhere else to go :-(

I've ridden down the long driveway but have yet to cruise around the neighborhood!
Not sure how my 2 Siberians would react to me 'walking' them in the PWC!

I walk my two Jack Russells with my PWC. Looks wild: they pull against the leashes. I tell folks that they're my miniature sled dogs.

I your PWC has the docking fixture that's a peg hanging down which slots into the receiver on the van floor, be careful. It can high-center your chair if you go over too large a bump/curb.

Attachments

• Pair16Aug08.JPG
    Pair16Aug08.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 297
>I your PWC has the docking fixture that's a peg hanging down which slots into the receiver on the van floor, be careful. It can high-center your chair if you go over too large a bump/curb.

don't have one yet -- wanted the permobile one but va say no to extra $1k ...

I reported it to local PVA, as you suggested, Max. We'll see where it goes from here. I may get some backlash, as my neuro is at VA one day a week, and at UCI the other four.

I looked at ALSA site early on, and still did not think I qualified for VA benefits. Anybody else?

GB

They might pull you for a ride Jeff! ;)

The dock I got is an EZ-Lock, works with any chair AFAIK. By default they put the lowest floor receiver in the van, but then the peg hangs down to like 2" above ground.
With that one I gouged a couple of curbs and bashed a few rocks (whilst off-roading!)

I called them back and they put a higher receiver in.

>I've ridden down the long driveway but have yet to cruise around the neighborhood!
Not sure how my 2 Siberians would react to me 'walking' them in the PWC!

try a 3' brace off the left side tied w/ bungee to armrest for stretch. my m300 only goes 6.4 mph but w/ 150 lbs of Irish pulling I can feel it especially when they see the Armadillo that lives nearby :)

my m300 only goes 6.4 mph but w/ 150 lbs of Irish pulling I can feel it especially when they see the Armadillo that lives nearby :)

Don't yet know how fast the chair will go (I need to give her a name!), but the rep said it had the "upgrade" package. He was impressed by that, but it means zip to this ignoramus!

It is a Permobil C500, and the only other thing I know about it is that it looks creepy as hell sitting in the garage covered by a bed sheet!

oh-ho: my Quickie QM710 will only hit 5.6mph. With them Setters pulling I'm pretty sure you'd win the race!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back