Dave K

Distinguished member
Reason
Other
Country
us
State
City
My PALS avoided the laborious task of voice banking for a long time. After her voice started to go away, she recorded a few hundred common phrases, which was helpful, but in hindsight, these recordings were rather wooden and usually revealed no more personality than the electronic voice of her eye-gaze computer.

But this is what really worked:

When my (limb onset) PALS was unable to dial a phone or send text messages, but still had a strong voice, she downloaded a program called VOXER on her smart phone. This program allows a user to send voice recordings over the text message network, and the result is kind of like talking on walkie-talkies. She used this for about two years to communicate with quite a few people.

But here was the unexpected benefit: After my PALS lost her voice and was using an eye-gaze computer to generate speech, I called the folks at Voxer, and they were able to restore every single voice message my PALS had ever recorded! So we had a HUGE collection of natural voice recordings of countless kinds of conversations. I asked a sound engineer friend to create .wav files of several dozen phrases found in the recordings, and with a little help from Tobii, my PALS could summon up her own voice by just gazing at a button on her computer screen. Lots of smiles all around.

So I can't say enough good things about Voxer.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am gonna ask my husband to download the app. Right now he uses google talk as is hands are getting pretty bad.

There is an option to record conversations in Google Voice...

Dave that is such an awesome tip, thank you so much for sharing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back