Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
Torrance
Over the last two years I've gotten to be very adept at using my few inches of head movement to access computers and phones. I do have an eyegaze system on standby, but that will be a last resort. Eyegaze is not nearly as versatile and forgiving as using a head movement based system.
I recently got involved with beta testing an app for android called Jabberwocky. I have no affiliation with the company. At the moment it's available for free. In the process of beta testing I have been in communication with the developers. Nice people, and more importantly, skilled programmers! If you can move your head a few inches, open/close your mouth and have a bit of patients to practice and adjust the settings, it is a fantastic way to access your phone hands free. I really hope the developers can figure out a way to make a fair profit of this, as I really appreciate the work they have done. The feedback I gave them was very detailed and probably borderline annoying. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. They promptly and enthusiastically addressed my issues like pros! The results are a great application.
There are a couple qualifications for the device to work. First it has to run android. Second, it has to support Google's ARCore. The list of qualifying android phones and tablets is long. I'll provide a link to the app and device list. If the forum won't allow the links, just Google"jabberwocky android" and "arcore devices". I'm not an Apple user, but apparently many iOS devices support ARCore. I don't know if the developers will or even can bring the app to iOS. Regardless, I highly recommend it! Hope this helps someone. I'd be interested to hear how it works for others. Good luck, Jim

jabberwockyapp .com/blog/2019/12/4/jabberwocky-for-android-released

developers. google. com/ar/discover/supported-devices

Just a note for the iOS users that iOS has a built-in head control feature using the camera, and can also be used with ability switches. Newer phones can also use more feature-rich apps like Hawkeye, which in turn can also be used with the iPhone to control a Mac.

SmartNav head mice, though discontinued, are still available to order for controlling Windows or Mac computers though you might have issues upgrading your OS in the future. TetraMouse is available as a chin, tongue and lip mouse.

Thanks,@Jimi, for participating in the beta development and for providing this information to all of us!

The iOS built in head control, as I understand, doesn't track your head like a mouse . It accepts head gestures to allow you to cycle through places on the screen, select, scroll. I purchased a tracker pro camera used on eBay for $275. It uses the reflective dot and functions like the smartnav. It is good for operating systems that work well with a computer mouse. Android and iOS are usable with a mouse, but I find it kind of clunky. The Jabberwocky app allows a more fluid control almost like I am touching the screen, like the operating system was designed for.

Another free way to control a windows computer with a webcam is "enable viacam". It's excellent. I control my home theater pc from across the room in my recliner - 10ft away with it. There is an app for iOS by jabberwocky for assistive speech and a browser, but I don't believe it is a whole system control app as the jabberwocky for android.

That is correct -- the build-in "use your head like a switch" in iOS isn't like a mouse, but the interfaces for switch use are much improved from where they were. I know SCI people who like the Tecta with a chin/neck switch but it depends what you can use in terms of muscles and what your preferences are.

For someone with enough movement, a mouthstick or forehead stylus are other options.

Was just informed by the developers that since the update, ARcore is no longer required. Therefore just about any android device should work with Jabberwocky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back