Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what it has been sounding like to me ... all OJT, all the time.

sorry if im dumb- but what is OJT?

On the Job Training. Also known as The School of Hard Knocks.

Gotcha. The thing is, on the job training is important too for obvious reasons- but if the people going into the homes knew some background or had the specialized training- it would do wonders.
Having a network of people to throw ideas together- helping all the other PALS and CALS of the world... thats what its about.
Kinda sounds like our forum here.

wouldnt it be great if there could be multiple gatherings throughout the year for PALS and CALS- but have the organization send help out to families, so that theyd be able to get there. financing for travel. extra caregivers. that sort of thing.
Look how many times on here alone that people have said "wouldnt it be great if we could get together?"!

As far as a training course goes, I do and then I understand. I'd be particularly interested in seeing and handling the equipment (who wouldn't need practice using a lift?), and practicing the various techniques (range of motion exercises, massage techniques, all of it) that caregivers utilize. But, I have to ask if some of the very good published material available already meet this need?

For example, Everyday Life With ALS from the MDA ALS Division looks pretty damn good, so .... well, they make movies out of books, so I suppose I good course wouldn't hurt.

Honestly, I can go thru this grant writing course with a pretend project for a fictitious NPO, but it would be nice to feel there is some connection to reality. Clock is ticking.

Last edited:
Paul- those things are taught in a regular CNA class (using a lift and range of motion)
I wish i could help you more. my brain doesnt work so well all the time.

Last edited:
(didn't know where to put this thread at first ... wish it were now in Caregiver Support)

I had a feeling that might be the case. If you take, for example Joel's Procedures, I have to wonder if some training needs aren't met, and if they can be taught at all ... except for on the job, or like they did in The Matrix. Plug it in -- I know Caregiver Kung-Fu. One thing I'm curious about is the type of caregivers in relation to ones insurance. My sister will be dependent completely on Medicaid. There are family caregivers, then there are, as very as I understand it, anybody that applies for the job. Then there are the trained caregivers.

Liz, do you think that if a family member took a CNN class, got the best published material, and then learned on the job ... well, do you think that is the best we could ask for?

Ok Brother Paul, I've come to this thread late, and I'm not even from Tokyo or the US, so what I have to say might not even count in Tokyo or the US where you might be more used to those with ALS.......here the estimate is that only about 250 people in the entire population at any given time have ALS.......but if you are writing a grant application to train carers for persons with ALS this is what I would add. ( I am not a nurse, just someone who has gained their experience through caring, alias the school of hard knocks, as you put it. Since we haven't met, I should add my Pals is bulbar onset since Nov. 09, hasn't spoken in over a year, all limbs now involved.)

-Give them info specifically about ALS. (Even a nurse in a teaching hospital said to me: 'can she understand what we are saying?'). They need to know that often the person's mental capacities are present and correct, even if the person cannot respond quickly and vocally.

-Tell them about swallowing issues. (Sick of carers offering my Pals water when she's coughing and me having to intervene.) They need tuition on taking a deep breath, letting the fear go and encouraging the Pals to cough if they can. If Pals can't cough, or even if they can, carers need to know what a cough assist does and how to use it. Also tuition on a suction machine. (Here, cough assist machines are few and far between and carers won't use suction machines unless public health nurse have sanctioned it)

-Moving and handling. In my opinion carers need to have hands on experience of at least some of the different kinds of lifts/hoists and slings out there. Not just paper practice. ( How many carers have you had to teach how to use your hoist and sling?) Also how to move a person who cannot move on their own soas not to hurt them...or yourself.

-PEG. In my opinion not rocket science. But over here if the person lives at home, no carer or nurse will touch it. ( litigation nervous?) Show the carer how to use it and not be frightened of it.

-assistive technologies, both high tech and low tech. Expose the carers to a few of these. Give them an experience of the frustration involved when a person can't communicate.

-mobility. Put the carer in a wheelchair for the day and have them visit a shop or cinema. Let them see the world from a little lower. Teach them the basics of negotiating a ramp in a manual or powered chair.

Probably would have more to say for the self care and emotional help of the primary carers but that's a bit outside the current application.

Good luck with your application. I think it's just great that you are using the training to do put together a real live application.
All the best. Avril

Avril, thanks. My latest post is waiting approval because of a link. Wish you could see it .. can't even remember what I wrote, but maybe pertinent. Also, your point about the ALS population is very relevant and could be a grant killer of the kind I am talking about. I'm losing a little faith in approaching the assignment with an ALS based grant. I just don't have enough knowledge yet. I may go with my not-related-to-ALS backup plan, and look to something ALS based in the next course.

Oh ... there is the post just now above yours .. I didn't see it.

CNN course! CNA of course ...

Last edited:
Here in the US, CNA's are not allowed to suction out traches. They can suction mouths, but either a certain certification is needed to do traches. This, or an LPN or RN can do it- but this of course costs the PALS more money.
However, if a PALS hires someone on privately- say as a personal care assistant/aide, then they are legally allowed to suction out traches.
Most medical staffing agencies dont have insurance to cover their CNA's to do the trache suctioning.
I think it would be more than beneficial for family caregivers to take a CNA course.

"I think it would be more than beneficial for family caregivers to take a CNA course."

Liz, then you are saying that developing a course specifically for CALS might not be fundable, and that the existing CNA courses basically fill the need?

Not necessarily Paul. Yes, there is alot that can be learned in a regular CNA class that will definatly help with taking care of a PALS, but the specifics are not taught.

As the course has already started, and I have chosen my project, I'll close this thread. Liz, I'd appreciate it if I can tap you for some of your ideas. I'll get in touch through PM.

Hi Brother,

I really liked your idea of a Care Giver Training specific to ALS. I did a search and this website came up:

Family Caregiver Resources

It provides a great list of web addresses for all kinds of care givers. But included is a reference to ALS care giver guide book which takes you to a 212 page downloadable book on all (most all?) issues that face PALS and their CALS. That address is:

http://www.mda.org/publications/PDFs/ALSCaregiversGuide.pdf

Now a course may be different than a guide book but this looks like an answer to the ALS CALS needs, and may or may not negate a need for the grant. The book is put out by MDA.

Another idea may be a book explaining to children what ALS is and how they can help their parent or grandparents and not be scared (as much as possible). I looked this up and found another source by MDA about 6 pages long. It is a laundry list and looks hopeful but it does not seem to offer specific application for children. It is about children and ALS but not for them. That address is:

http://www.mndscotland.org.uk/imageuploads/file/Factsheets/29 Telling Children About MND 2009.pdf

Other sites I found are not free. A free source for childen dealing with this may be needed but again it may exist. Hope this was helpful. By the way is this a federal grant or any grant? Best Wishes with this class. Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back