Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
NH
City
New London
For the past two months or so (about the same time that I've been on a catheter), I've had occasional severe pain in my right heel in the middle of the night. Last night was excruciating and even hurt to touch my sheet. It felt like my foot was being squeezed by a vice grip that was heated by a volcano and studded with nails. The pain pretty much subsides during the day, though as I write this I can feel some lingering. Until last night, I thought it was plantar fasciatis, but last night it occurred to me that it might be gout. My father has periodic gout. Could this be hitting me too now? I know that gout comes from purine, but I don't eat any of the triggering foods. I'm 100% tube fed so all I eat is Kate Farms peptide and Liquid Hope. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any thoughts.

The size/positioning of the catheter or something about your bed positioning seems a more likely culprit or contributor given the timing and the specificity, so I'd try to eliminate those first. But gout attacks can occur even with a gout-friendly diet.

Laurie, could the catheter and related inflammation contribute to the gout?

Jessie, I have experienced terribe heel pain recently as well during the night and lingering into the day. But mine seems to be related to the inability of my legs and feet to move now. I can't get the weight off my heel. My OT and caregivers are thinking pressure sores. We have no solution yet except waking my husband to move me as soon as pain sets in.

Is that possible in your case?

Cathy, I don't have any pressure sores. I can move my feet enough to change the pressure point, but moving my foot doesn't stop the pain.

The catheter would not cause gout, but if you already had pain from it, it could make you more aware of it. Still, like I said, it seems a lower probability.

For everyone whose heel is staying on the bed with some pressure, you want to get pressure boots, to avoid that heel pain. We used Prevalon/Sage boots. You can also tie them together (loosely) across the top for better control, and make other mods to avoid painful knees and hips -- to keep everything aligned and not floppy.

I had pain in my heels similar to what you describe. I was still able to move my feet a bit, but had been spending extra time in bed due to an illness.

It turned out the pain was caused by pressure sores. We found out when my heels started to bleed. It was surprising how deep the pain was in the heel area. Repositioning my feet did not relieve the pain.

It took a long time to heal the pressure sores. I was surprised at how deep the damage actually was.

Now my hospital bed has an air mattress with a pressure sore reduction setting. It changes the pressure to prevent pressure sores. I have not had significant problems with pressure sores on my feet since I switched to the hospital bed 18 months ago, but is something I am constantly on the lookout for.

Steve

boots for pressure on the heels work wonders, but as Steve says they will still need to recover and that can take some time

Thanks all. I don't have pressure sores but it's something to be aware of.

hey nona, the pain in a pressure area begins way before a sore develops, so it is worth looking at something to address that 💚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back