Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
ON
City
burlington
Hi there,
For the past 6 months or so I have been feeling a little off with a few symptoms and whenever I have a few minutes to try and do a little research myself I keep getting directed to the forums here - and to be honest, I knew of ALS but really knew nothing about it until I started doing a little reading here.

I have two main symptoms that keep bothering me - and yes I do have a neurology appointment lined up for nov 26th :)

One of the symptoms is never ending daily tingling that is localized in my mid back. It feels like someone's taking their nails and scratching my back over and over - sometimes it goes away and sometimes it is just there - but it is a daily occurrence that is starting to drive me slightly batty....it's located in the right mid back. I don't have any pain.

The second thing I am experiencing is a problem with my left wrist and forarm. There are multiple issues. One major issue is twitching in the forarm area that occurs daily. The other issue is with a certain movement. If you would take your fingers and try to bend them inwards to touch the middle of your wrist - I can't move my hand back easily. It just wont go back. It's awkward and gets spastic. Eventually when I get it back up it's ok.

I also get lack of dexterity when typing lately.

These symptoms sound weird I know - hence my trying to read about them.

I get a bit of pain in my forarm also, so I was trying to see if it was maybe ulnar entrapment.

Would anyone be kind enough to provide me their thoughts on why all my searches bring me back here? I would not have though that these may symptoms of early onset, but I just don't know and I feel bothered about these two issues quite significantly.

Thank you kindly to all,

Google is an algorithm

It feeds on peoples fears. Probably invented by the NSA...wait it was.

Google feeds the data that it gets. Google fears on fear.

Its not Dr. Google PhD or any other medical entity.

It is a business venture based on advertising and if you do not know by now...

FEAR SELLS.

So Unless you have been diagnosed with ANYTHING! The only reason to use the internet is for support groups that have been diagnosed. Everything is for the medical professionals

Google LOVES ALS...it gets so many hits and more so since the Bucket Challenge.

Do yourself a favor and leave it to the the Docs. The only thing you will find on the internet is

A) Forums of paranoid people like you
B) Forums of people that have something and will tel you to go away
C) Scientific peer review info that could help.

The choice is yours and good luck.

PS the issue is not your health. It is however your point of view and uncomfortableness of your life. You seek a self fulfilling prophecy.

The issue is you are sad. And a disease is an easy way out.

Knoxville...you have the power to turn this around. Our minds are so powerful! You know this...right? Look deep.

You got this. Statically you do not have ALS.

Grab control NOW. Now is all we have. I have lived a hell of 2 years of a gazillion tests, no internet bullshit. Be thankful for what you do have ...NOW.

We love you and you are the luck one who has never been told....You have 2-6 years to live.

Be grateful and live your life. The odds are in your favor

Much love and hope on your journey.

The Mackle

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

The Mackle, just a suggestion, you are a VERY new undiagnosed member, (I think somewhere it is in the Stickies you are considered a "guest") so, you're really not in a position to advice others. Lighten up on the philosophy stuff. Maybe consider a Blog here to post your thoughts.

Simple.....stop googling your symptoms. It is very hard for the pals on this forum to type. They often use one finger or eye gaze to do so. Cals are exhausted and stressed. If someone has responded and said they dont think you have als, please stop posting.

The Mackle, just a suggestion, you are a VERY new undiagnosed member, (I think somewhere it is in the Stickies you are considered a "guest") so, you're really not in a position to advice others. Lighten up on the philosophy stuff. Maybe consider a Blog here to post your thoughts.

Seriously, as a gust I can't share my opinion? I am more like him than you. So you actually have to ahave a diagnosis to share opinion. Ive been reading these posts long before I signed up, so Im not so new here just new to you. And most of what I said I learned here.

Does it bother you that I actually gave good advice/ Or do you have to be in your special death club to share an opinion.

Most of you people here are pretentious. I don't get it. A place where people obviously have some issue either psychological or physical, there are ways to communicate with compassion.

Had I been an actual MEMBER (thats funny...you have a club and rules....ridiculous.)

Now I fear If I do get a DX I don't care about dying, I live in an assisted suicide state so when I can't breath or eat...I'm out. But I really fear becoming one of you bitter people.

I am full of life but my foot is paralyzed you people are so negative.

Good luck. You got what you wanted Im out. God forbid this does turn out to be a MND I'll steer clear of this "special douchebag club"

Peace.....and lighten up.

it realy sounds like you got googled alright

TheMackle,

Thank you... you just said it all.

But I'll re-post what I wrote for you...

"TheMackle, just a suggestion, you are a VERY new undiagnosed member, (I think somewhere it is in the Stickies you are considered a "guest") so, you're really not in a position to give advice others. Lighten up on the rambling philosophy stuff. Maybe consider a Blog here to post your thoughts.

If that pisses you off... follow your own writing > " I'll steer clear of this "special douchebag club". Do so.

Last edited:
The Mackle, that was a really cruel comment about the "special death club." Far from being bitter, the pals here share more courage and zest for living than anyone I know. Granted, some have little tolerance for people fixating on a disease which they probably don't have, when they themselves are living this disease. If you have read a lot here, you know they are full of compassion, caring and love for those who are suffering this disease. Those imaging it, and worrying themselves into symptoms belong on a different forum. I truly hope you do NOT have this, but name calling certainly doesn't belong here and I hope you are wise enough to find a better place where you will not feel the need to lash out.

We have lost an intellectual giant.

OP I am sorry your thread took such an unfortunate turn. Dr Google is truly a terrible doctor and your symptoms don't sound like ALS
I hope you do not feel the need to post more and can move on but if you do you have a pass to start a new thread
This one is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back