Glucose - wrong attitude/ignorance, or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

But it doesn’t matter what it was named all those years ago when they knew even less about why it happened than we do now

thanks Nikki - this is a really good example of the garbage you can run with by googling without understanding how to validate results. sharecare.com may come up higher on the results, but that doesn't make it reliable.

come on...

But it doesn’t matter what it was named all those years ago when they knew even less about why it happened than we do now
come on... and what is atrophy? a-trophy... no nurishment.
explained term with unexplained terms.
actually, muscle atrophy is a consequence of neuron dying. nomenclature in this case is given cause of symptom. wrong!

More from merriam webster
From its literal Greek roots, atrophy would mean basically "lack of nourishment". Although the English word doesn't usually imply any lack of food, it always refers to a wasting away. Those who have been bedridden for a period of time will notice that their muscles have atrophied. And muscular atrophy is a frequent result of such diseases as cancer and AIDS. We also use atrophy in a much more general sense. After being out of work a few years, you may find your work skills have atrophied; someone who's been living an isolated life may discover the same thing about his or her social skills; and a democracy can atrophy when its citizens cease to pay attention to how they're being governed.

As it notes a person can get disuse atrophy while being completely nourished with no underlying disease. But again it matters not because the name was given when all they knew was the muscles were atrophying for an unknown reason

We still don’t know how much atrophy in ALS relates to disuse due to muscle failure from dead motor neurons vs other processes. All any of us can do is to follow current research and apply it and our doctors’ recommendations as we see fit. There are a gazillion papers and theories and we are all different so it is truly trial and error. What works for me as c9 FALS may be completely wrong for someone else. And none of us are mice, fruit flies or zebrafish I am pretty sure

We still don’t know how much atrophy in ALS relates to disuse due to muscle failure from dead motor neurons vs other processes.
[/QUOTE

this is crucial!!! not sure if many sciencists are aware of this.

This is interesting. My husband was a well controlled diabetic when he was diagnosed. I had been concerned about a fair amount of weight loss over the preceding years, but he was thrilled. Once he was relegated to the PWC, his glucose skyrocketed and he put on weight. As his endocrinologist pointed out, insulin is a steroid. As his body became more insulin resistant, he took more insulin, and instead of continuing to lose weight he put it on. Ultimately he was on massive doses of U500 insulin. His progression did speed up during the final year, as he fought infections and was less and less able to get that glucose out of is blood stream and into those starving cells.

nuts, i am not sure, but i think that that these two types of glucose operate on a completelly different levels.

diabetes and als have some things/symptoms in common, but most of them are - oposite. if you add dbts to als, it blows doctor's brain away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back