02/2014
Country
US
State
VT
City
Hartland Four Corners
Hello lovely people,

I'm looking forward to flying back to the UK to spend Christmas with my family. I am really stuck about what to get dad for a gift.

Dad relies 100% on a feeding tube and can't get around on his own any more. He has a little iPad to type into but next year is getting a retina thingy. In the past, gifts have been related to fishing, booze, or edibles. I don't think he's interested in getting anything, to be honest, but I really want to get him something.

Perhaps an online gift certificate so he can go on a little shopping spree?

Any ideas? Is there anything that might be particularly useful to him in his current condition?

Thanks for any guidance.

My dad always enjoyed watching movies on Netflix. He always enjoyed getting new pictures of the family to put up in his room. Your time is the best present you can give him.

Darcey (my wife and PALS) has asked for nothing more than "time" for Christmas. Time spent sitting together and talking... time spent watching a movie or tv show... time spent reminiscing of days past... just "time".

Jim

Beautiful. Thank you Skipper & Jim. Very much appreciated.

Dad will have as much time with me as he desires while I'm there, even though he can't talk, I will be with him. We're very English/unemotional "solider on" is how it's being dealt with and expression of emotion is warned against, but I feel it all beneath the surface, for all of us.

I ended up getting him a half-zip Ibex sweater (he can't get things on/off very easily) and a cozy bathrobe. I wish I could give him what he desires the most, which is a cure.

Thank you.

My favourite gift for those that are immobile is a digital picture frame loaded with family photos. Get one big enough for him to see.

I got steve an amazon fire stick. Roku,chromecast, and several others are available. This gives him access to lots of new tv

Gifts are always tricky. Sounds like you made a good choice. Since you live far away it sounds since you're flying home, maybe you could set up a video chat to use in the future or leave him a journal/scrapbook where you leave pictures and write down memories or hopes, etc. I hope you enjoy a wonderful time together!

I got Dan some cordless headphones. He enjoys listening to music and has become unable to move his from the living room to the bedroom. He uses them in the bedroom so he does not wake me at night when he is watching TV late. Comfy shirts that are easy to put on and family and friends which are the most important.

My girls came up with clever gifts for their dad (my pALS). When they were young, he used to always tease them about just going out and getting what they wanted off of the 'money tree'. So last year, our younger daughter used a wooden dowel, wooden stand, clothes pins and about 25 one dollar bills to create a real money tree. He loved it! It was perfect, thoughtful and offered a good laugh. He also has always loved candy cigarettes, we always joked about his pack a day addiction to sugar. He can only suck on them a bit now, but our older daughter bought several packs and put together a candy cigarette sculpture. It's great and I know he will love this idea too. I think things that remind them of long lasting memories is always good. His brother bought him a cd from a band they used to listen too when they were kids. Also a cherished gift! Another gift that was extremely well received was a favorite t-shirt that our daughter made into a pillow for him. Find things that have always been meaningful and build off of that! Good luck!

I also bought a couple of fun tervis cups. The 16oz ones keep his drinks cold. We had a few of the big ones but they are getting a little hard to handle. So many to choose from.

I think that he would enjoy spending the time with you as much as or more than any gift. You will take something from that as well, and will be glad you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back