Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
State
GA
PALS had a GI bleed last evening that sent us to the ER. We got home around 3 a.m. He had had Naproxyn 48 hours prior and I want to believe this was the culprit. However we had just started Neudexta in a capsule form. He had only taken this by mouth. This was a compounded medicine from a compounding pharmacy. Can Neudexta cause a GI bleed. The drug has been terrific. Far less problems with his secretions. The ER MD was great but didn't give much advice about the drugs that could have caused the bleed. Any thoughts?

I am sorry. How frightening. Quinidine can cause low platelets ( thrombocytopenia) surely they did blood work and checked platelets as part of a bleed workup?

I have seen a gi bleed in a patient after a single dose of ibuprofen though they had a remote history of an ulcer. Hope he is feeling better. What treatment did they give ? It must have been mild/ quickly controlled if you came home so quickly

Well, that explains the time you posted on the other thread this morning. I'm so sorry for all of this. You must be exhausted.

Both meds can cause GI bleeding. Possibly taking them together was an issue. I agree with Nikki that platelets should have been checked. He may have to use something other than NSAIDs for pain. I know I can't tolerate even one Advil without stomach issues.

I also know one other PALS who thought Advil helped his symptoms and was taking several each day. He had a massive GI bleed as a result and it came on suddenly. Others can tolerate it with no problems.

Yes, His discharge paperwork says platelets were checked twice over the span of several hours. PALS understands he can't take Naproxyn any longer. We are suppose to pick up a prescription for pepcid and protonics. He had about 60cc of blood that I pulled back last evening and there hasn't been anymore. Hopefully we are in the clear now.

Mary. Sorry you went through this. Not highhacking your thread, but this AM TOM had blood in his BM. First time. I had switched him to aleeve that is an aspirin type med. I will switch him back to advil. We are also thinking possible hemeroids.

I hope switching Tom back to the Advil does the trick! And that you and Tom are able to get some rest today!

Sorry to hear this, Mary. Likewise, hope you get some rest!

Not sure what all of you are using the NSAIDs for, but Tylenol/acetaminophen is less likely to cause bleeds/GI issues. Nuedexta has been linked to an increased bleeding risk, but not GI as much. Combining it with other rx that do the same would of course compound the risk. So backing off the Naprosyn is a good idea.

Wow that was scary Mary!
I agree, using a paracetamol rather than an aspirin for an NSAID is the go now.
I hope you both get some rest now, hospital is exhausting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back