Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
NL
State
Amsterdam
City
Netherlands
First of all I have read the sticky but I still have the need to get some thoughts on this.

It all started with my balance being off. I felt like falling a lot of times. I didn't really pay attention to any of this (I have my thumb being spastic all the time). However, something changed. I was at school when I started to have major fasculations throughout my body but in particular my legs. I had trouble walking and keeping my balance. My parents had to pick me up and now I'm worsening. The fasculations stopped but my legs seem to have less power. Walking is getting more difficult. I have muscle cramps throughout my body. Sometimes it's the shoulder muscle or the neck muscle or the abs. My feet feel weird. My head muscles feel weird as well. It's like my whole body is losing it's power and energy.

I am getting very worried about this. It may be worsening my symptoms but still... I feel weird all the time. My neck muscles hurt, my back muscles hurt. I get continious fasculations throughout my body but not as much in my legs which seem to lose their strength. I am completely terrified. Fact is i'm just 20 years old so what in the world could be the cause of all this? I find it very hard to believe that all of this could be anxiety.

Could this be ALS related? Are my worries justified? Are there any ways I could check if my strength indeed is decreasing?

Nothing you write sounds even remotely like ALS, so you can put that worry aside.

You must get yourself straight to a doctor, surely your parents would insist that if they had to pick you up from school.

Please don't worry about replying here again, you should not be here, we can't help I'm afraid, but your doctor will help you. No, your worries are not even slightly justified, tell your doctor how much you are worried so you can be helped with this too.

All the best

Your age and symptoms almost totally rule out ALS. I would focus on stress, nutrition and sleep, unless you've recently had a major fall or accident, or any other reason to believe you might have spinal issues.

However, see a physician who can do basic strength testing, is the short answer to your question, and/or undertake an athletic activity or exercise that you have done recently before. Preferably, ask someone who saw you work out/compete recently to watch you and comment on any similarities or differences. Naturally, you shouldn't disclose your concerns to this person as that would taint their objectivity but instead mention that you are trying to improve your form or other such benign reason.

Rather than walk into the doc's office and talk about "weird," [hard to act on], keep notes on specific events, try to log and report quantifiable changes. Distance, intensity, duration, etc. of activities are variables to track. You may find some c<l>ues for yourself by putting the energy that you have invested in worry and investing it in action.

All the best.

ALS doesn't start "all over". It begins in a particular muscle (due to motor neuron damage) and continues from there. There's no "feeling weird", and definitely no "hurting". You absolutely don't sound like you have ALS. Worry sounds like your enemy here, see a doctor who can help in that category.

Thanks for all the kind responses. I'm still not assured since i've seen people with Als having similar symptoms. I will go to the doctor as soon as possible. I do think that there are still hundreds of other reasons this might happen to me. So I will put the ALS thought aside for now. Thanks again

You need to see your regular doctor. It's as simple as that. We are not here to tell you what is wrong with you other then to tell you your symtoms are not ALS related. If you choose not to believe the opinion of people who have experience with it then you are clearly on your own. Good luck to you. Kim

Dont get me wrong I believe everyone that has experienced this awful disease. It's just that i'm still not feeling sure that it is completely ruled out. Like there is still that tiny chance that it MIGHT be ALS (like 0,01%). And as long I do not have a diagnosis I will keep that in mind. Still my worries got a lot worse because of you guys and I highly appreciate it.

So thanks again,

Nick

There is still that tiny chance that it MIGHT be ALS (like 0,01%).

You're right to point out that there is a 99.99% chance of it being something else. why don't you worry about something that A) is likely to be the problem, and B) you can do something about?

I assure you that you don't have ALS. None of your symptoms point to ALS. In fact, all the pain, cramps, and weird stuff you're feeling point AWAY from ALS.

Why don't you worry about something that it might be?

You need to leave this forum and go somewhere where your symptoms match. You're wasting our time here, and we've been very patient with you.

I know. I wish all of you all the best and I hope I won't have to come back here again. Thanks a lot and my prayers go out to all of you.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back