Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Aurora
My father's arms have failed him before his legs. Up until now he has been kind of "rolling" out of bed onto his knees and using his stronger left arm to hold on to the mattress and stand.

They recently lowered the mattress because it was too high for him to get into. This now has made it more difficult for him to get to a standing position when getting out of bed.

Does anyone know where he should go from here? Is the only option at this point a Hoyer lift?

A hospital bed might delay the need for a lift. You can adjust the height to get in and out and the ability to raise the bed should help too

He is going to need/ want the bed anyway

Nikki nailed it—a hospital bed!

Yes, a hospital bed. If you have hospice, they should be able to provide you with that.

If you have Medicare, they will pay for a hospital bed and a hoyer lift. You will just need a doctor to write up a prescription.

Thanks everyone. He was so upset the last time I suggested a hospital bed. He doesn't like the idea of being separated from my mom.

He tried out the hospital bed, but because he has limited strength in just one are it is still difficult to get out of bed on his own.

Why would he need to be separated from your mom? Her bed can be only a couple of inches away, to allow for his bed moving. He should still be close enough for her to touch. And she can still visit his bed. If he gets cold, some here use a low voltage heated mattress pad that works with a hospital bed.

I know it's a change, but waiting till the last moment to get a bed that works with a lift would likely only be more traumatic because then he would be facing both at the same time.

A trapeze or bed handle might help him get up for a while if his good arm can still get leverage that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back