03/2014
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
Hello

Getting into bed is becoming an issue. Does anyone have a height adjustable bed or any ideas how to make it easier? If my bed is to high i cant get in and if its too low i cant get out.

My ankle has started to roll out each time i step on it so standing up is becoming hard. Anyone else have ankles that roll and have any solutions?

One of the common helps provided by OT is a bed cane. Drop "bed cane" into Google.

My first symptom was a rolling ankle. When it was just that I had an ankle brace. I got it from a medical supply place without a prescription although the man at the supply place did recommend it and it was infinitely better than the drugstore kind.
But if you are having issues getting out of bed you must have other weak areas. My current afo gives support to my calf, ankle and foot. and a bedcane is a great idea

I have an AFO that absolutely prevents my left ankle from rolling.

Unfortunately it's really uncomfortable, so I don't like to wear it. But I know if it rolls out and I fall, I'm going to have to wear it, so I'm really careful not to roll the ankle... like looking at every place I put my foot when on an uneven sidewalk, or if there is tan bark or pea grave or whatever...

So... AFO or be really careful.

Dusty I had problems with my afo at first also. I had to go back twice for him to adjust the padding. I tried at home adding padding but it turned out he needed to take something out to make it fit correctly. I have an ottobock. What do you have?

I use a Dictus AFO but need some sort of better support especially when im in bare feet. Never had this problem with my other foot (1st one that wax weak) i can barely get out of bed and to the washroom in the morning. Dont know what to do, its so frustrating.

You need a different afo clearly. The only dictus I know is only for footdrop. Talk to your neuro and or your orthotist. I have the ottobock walkon reaction and it is great. But you would have to put it on before getting up to help with the getting to the bathroom. If you are going to do bare feet you should probably use a walker. Falls are dangerous

A bed trapeze helps less mobile people get in/out of bed more easily by providing a hanging bar above the bed to grab. They cost about $100. Google "bed trapeze" to find it quickly.

Thanks Nikki

Does your AFO help your ankle from rolling? Do you have to wear it with shoes or can you walk eith just the AFO? I do use a walker and will def ask about a new AFO at my next appt.

It absolutely keeps my ankle from rolling. I did not think it would but when I questioned it he challenged me to try to make it roll. I could not. But yes needs shoes. It has a foot plate goes up the inside of my ankle and up the front velcro straps around at two levels. Tons of support once it got fitted properly.

Trixie, almost everyone ends up in a "hospital"-type (height-adjustable for the total bed, and for head/foot individually) at some point, so why not start the process now? The Canadians can chime on the process of getting one, but you can only be more comfortable and it might prevent a fall getting in or out, even though you still sit/stand on your own.

Trixie, I too have a rolling ankle. I loathe and detest wearing and AFO, but as my leg gets worse, I subconsciously find myself wearing the AFO for longer periods than I intended.
I guess it depends on how bad your ankle etc is, but until you get the ball rolling on bed products, you could try keeping a pair of good soled slippers near the bed for night time trips. It doesn't solve the problem, but does help.

Thanks for starting this thread, I was thinking I needed something nore permanent attached to the bed but wasn't sure what I was looking for.
All the best with a solution that works for you.
God bless, Janelle x

The bed cane is a good idea, and I couldn't do it without my blanket lifter which keeps my feet from getting tangled in the bedding. Good luck!

Trixie, since I live in your area, I know that the ALS Society of BC provides hospital beds for free. I assume that you are registered with them? Do you go for clinic appointments at GF Strong? The team there can advise you on what you need, and the ALS Society provides almost everything at no cost. There is a lot of information there, and the clinic OT, the ALS Society and your community OT work together to make sure you have everything you need.
- Charlene

Thanks Charlene
I go next week for my appt and will talk to them too. I find people here have better info on dealing with changes than the OT and Dr at GF Strong. I am hoping to be able to continue sharing a bed with my boyfriend for a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back