Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Mass
City
Florence
Have just ordered a electric wheelchair / next we need to get a van.
Any opinions on what make to get & why.
What would be on your list of must haves when looking at a van?

I'm sure I will have more questions.

THANKS

BILL W

There are several threads on this. My only piece of advice is do not actually buy until you have the wheelchair and try it out to make sure they work together. My sister actually had to return a van but others will have many more tips

Nikki's right. Big time. You must drive your wheelchair into the van a couple times to make sure you fit without ducking your head. And be sure the PWC can lock in place without getting your knees too close to the dash.

We tried several models and selected a Honda Odyssey converted by Braun with a ramp on the side.

You will need to know the height of the pals sitting.in the chair. Floor to top of head. On the van websites you can see these measurements. My husband is 6' but long torsoed so we had to get a sienna. Shoulder width also matters, again those measurements are on the site. This will let you look some now. Like everyone else has said, i would want to drive into the van and turn around if posdible. Our chair/van came thru the va. My husband was measured and fitted for both. We bought the van sight unseen.

>My husband is 6' but long torsoed so we had to get a sienna

same here

I haven't needed to buy a new vehicle for more than ten years so there are new options out there. As someone else said, get the wheelchair first so you can test any vehicle before buying. Be prepared for sticker shock. A new wheelchair modified minivan is about $60,000. The cost of conversion is high. I have had used Chevrolet and Ford Econolines and they were ok but I love my current Sprinter! No conversion cost, just install a lift. Lots of space, and best of all for me, I have full view out the windows. Anyway, here are some general considerations.

Minivan or full size Van?

Minivans:

More appealing to those who don't want to drive a "truck".
Will fit in all garages and parking ramps.
Are lower to the ground making it possible to use a ramp for the wheelchair rather than a mechanical lift.
Less interior space and less headroom makes it more difficult to use with a power chair, especially for a tall person. A power chair with rear wheel drive will not have the turning radius needed to get it into this size van. Most newer power chairs pivot closer to their center however, and should work.
New Chevy and Pontiac models have the most headroom.
Must have floor lowered to accommodate wheelchair. Lowered floors can bottom out when driving on rough roads or into driveways.

Full sized vans:

More space for wheelchair and other gear.
May not fit in some garages or parking ramps. Raised roof version will not fit.
Must have floor lowered and/or roof raised to accommodate wheelchair and lift.
Consider size of engine cowling between front seats. Can make it very difficult to move back to the passenger area if wheelchair passenger needs help.

Other options:

Dodge Sprinter: Available from manufacturer in two roof heights, 64 or 72 inches of headroom, no roof raising/floor lowering conversion expense, just add a lift. High door height for even the tallest wheelchair user. Three lengths available. Ideal for traveling. Excellent visibility for wheelchair passenger. Side or rear entry.
Ford Transit/ Connect. New utility vans that ares becoming very popular for wheelchair use. Large version is similar to Sprinter, smaller is a compact size great for everyday use.

Lower the floor or raise the roof?

Sitting in a wheelchair puts the person sitting too high to see anything out the window beyond the edge of the road. Raising the roof doesn't add height to the windows. Lowering the floor is somewhat better but the wheelchair passengers view is still quite limited.
In order for a caregiver to stand up in the van, a real help but not essential, both floor lowering and roof raising must be done.
A lowered floor or raised roof are generally not available as factory options and must be done by a van conversion shop.

Side or rear wheelchair entry?
Rear entry

Allows the wheelchair user to get in without maneuvering to turn the chair.
Rear entry limits the seating available for other passengers.
Rear entry eliminates the problem of being blocked from using the lift by other parked cars, but requires loading and unloading in traffic lane of a parking lot.

Side entry

Requires turning the chair to face the front. Riding sideways is unsafe as well as nauseating.
Requires about 8 feet of space, and another car parking too close can require moving the van to get back in. That is a mere nuisance if you are a wheelchair passenger, but if you are still driving yourself it leaves you stranded.

Folding or slide out lift?
Folding

Takes up some space in passenger area and partially covers the window.
May prevent front passenger seat from being able to move back (reducing leg room) or reclining.
Can be operated manually if controller fails.

Slide Out

Doesn't take up passenger space or block the window but does take 1.5 inches away from the headroom, a small but critical amount.
Harder to deploy manually if something happens to the controller.
May require modifying exhaust system, gas tank.
Enclosed but somewhat more exposed to water, snow, salt.

Automatic Lift?

Manual is least expensive, requires a caregiver to operate.
Semiautomatic raises/lowers the lift with a switch located on the lift, requires a caregiver to open the door.
Fully Automatic opens door, raises/lowers the lift, and closes the door with switches located on the lift. Can be used independently if hand/arm strength allows.
Remote control can be used instead of switches. Requires full attention and caution to be used safely.

Great list Diane thank you ,
Love Gem

Wait until your chair comes in. I was given my late grandfather's van and was so excited not to have to buy a van. When I got my chair I hit my head and I had to tilt my head if it was in the passenger position. Could easily break my neck if we hit a bump. I am 6'5" so my wheelchair back is really tall. It limited me to 2 vans and the MV-1. I wanted the Toyota but ended up with the Dodge SXT. It was actually the van from a guy in our support group. He was the 1st pALS i knew personally to die (sadly there have been almost a dozen since we got the van in November) and I am glad we kept the van in our support group family.

Good luck,
Doug

Thanks All:

Diane - That list is given me a lot to think about / items that I never thought of . > THANKS BILL W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back