Getting a PEG next week - looking for tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to give an update. My husband is SO HAPPY he got his feeding tube! He held out for so long and was so bummed to have to get it, but now he is so glad he has it! It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and he has gained back 8 pounds already and feels so much better. I don't think he realized how bad he felt all the time being hungry and dehydrated, until he suddenly wasn't anymore!

He was a little sore and crampy for about a week, but otherwise everything went very smoothly. Tube feedings are so much easier and faster than we expected. He even used it to "drink" a bottle of water while we were in the car on a 3 hour drive! It took a week for him to fully embrace how much the tube could improve his/our life, but now he is loving it!

Glad it has worked so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmt
Robin - Thank you so much for sharing the aftermath of your husband's choice to get a feeding tube. I'm sure it will help many others as they work through their own decision regarding PEG placement.

My best...

Jim

Reactions: rmt
We spoke with NP at Emory today and they are recommending a PEG for my PALS. I tried asking if this could be done with Fluoroscopy and her response was vague. Is a twilight anesthesia still required if the RIG method is used rather than the PEG method? What are the advantages of RIG over the PEG method?

Mary if you do a search here on RIG in the title you will find lots of great discussions that should help. Twilight anaesthesia I believe is normally used, more as a relaxant than anything, but full anaesthesia is used for a PEG and you can't use bipap as they have an endoscope going in through your mouth. Hope that helps.

Yes, sometimes you will find even in academic medical centers that the gastros rule the roost and want to do surgical procedures. Did you check with the ALS clinic there as regards a radiology referral?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back