Diagnosis
01/2022
Country
US
State
OH
City
Bowling Green
If a fiancé is newly diagnosed with ALS, should the couple legally marry? How does marriage impact ALS debt ramifications, resource eligibility requirements, taxes, etc.

We don’t want to take a step we will regret later on.

I see your partner was just diagnosed. I am sorry. Honestly this is something you really need to talk to a professional about. If there is a clinic social worker they might be aplace to start as they would know about specific laws and programs in your state. Once you get an idea though you should probably see a lawyer. PALS generally do early on to review wills or trusts, guardianship plans for minor children and update/set up power of attorney and medical directives. Even when we have these things they probably need to be reexamined now

from the practical aspect to marry or not really depends on your individual situation. Things to consider would be if you think medicaid is in the future whether marrying gets them any benefit from your work and depending on age and your incomes whether having been married will bring you more social security income eventually. If you decide to stay unmarried be very sure you have ( if they want) the ability to speak for them and make medical devisions if they can’t otherwise the biological next of kin might have control

good luck

Thank you for thoughtful reply. We’ll touch base with the social worker first. 👍🏼

Welcome to the forums, Sandy. We will support you however we can.

Every state is different in terms of estate planning, Medicaid eligibility, Medicare plan options, etc. So I would definitely want to talk with someone who knows Ohio. If you are still working, I would discuss your situation with an HR benefits person as well.

Best,
Laurie

Sandy, is your fiancé a veteran? I ask because VA benefits for vets with ALS and for their surviving spouses are significant and eliminate many of the concerns such as medicaid eligibility.

Thanks for your replies. It is actually my son who was recently diagnosed, and he wants to get married and maybe have a child while he still can. We are worried about the financial ramifications for both of them.

how old is he?

Thanks Sandy, I hope your son is able to work out what is best for himself and his fiance in this very difficult time.
Please recommend he join this forum as we would love to support him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back