Get back up, dust myself off, and start all over again.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckhorn

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Small town
So, here I am starting my own CALS thread. It's about time I stop hijacking the threads of others. I have little to say right now - its very late and I am very tired. But I realize it is high time I start to ask my questions and post my thoughts on my own thread.

My PALS (husband, Dave) is on a slow-but-steady decline. He has minimal use of his limbs now, and minimal trunk strength. That said, I am thankful that he can chew, swallow, talk almost normally and he has no FTD. He has some slight changes in mentation - primarily, loss of STM (short term memory).

TY all for your constant source of support and advice. I appreciate you all!

House warming party at Buckhorn's thread!

I hope you won't stop giving the forum a thorough once-over with lots of posts now you have your own place. Since you like to travel I'd only be natural to roam a bit.

I don't drink that much but I did just sit down with a red wine, so here's a toast to the house-warming of your own thread Buckhorn - cheers!

Appreciation is mutual, the great thing about this place is that the giving always goes both ways. :)

Wish, you are so funny!

So, today was a pretty good day. We went to Red Lobster for dinner and then I took Dave to a minor league baseball game. Dave loves baseball! The team he was rooting for lost the game, but it was a perfect evening weather wise, complete with a beautiful sunset. After our late return home we sat outside on the front deck with the firepit on and enjoyed a drink. I try my best to keep Dave's life interesting. Every month the transfers become more difficult, but I am so thankful that he can still talk, chew & swallow. For that I am grateful.

What a lovely evening, and even though you were 'on duty' it sounds as though you both had a nice time of being out together and then relaxing together at home.

That's a great example of dusting yourself off and getting on with making memories :D

I had to smile at the thought of the two of you out for dinner at Red Lobster and the followup sit back by the firepit. Red Lobster is one of Darcey's favorite restaurants. It has been a number of years, now, since we've actually been "out" to dinner. But in honor of your own thread, Buckhorn, we'll do some Red Lobster take-out this weekend. And instead of the firepit, perhaps I'll light up the charcoal grill and plank her some salmon. Sad... charcoal grilled, charred chicken breast used to be her absolute favorite on the grill. But it has now become another one of those things that is difficult to swallow. And that fact, for me, is another "difficult to swallow" ALS thing.

I'm glad to see that your able to still find those things to be grateful for. Keep looking as they are important to find, recognize and be reminded of for both PALS and CALS as we make this journey.

My best...

Jim

Sounds lovely, Buckhorn, the perfect summer evening.

Happy Housewarming, Buckhorn!

I've never minded hijacks---I kind of like to host my friends--but it'll be nice to visit you here!

I forgot to smuggle my drink into the hospital, so I'll toast you with coffee!

Becky

Welcome to do-your-own-thread land Buckhorn! My husband sounds in similar shape to yours. Nice to still be able to interact.

I don't mind thread Jacks a bit. The words of my fellow CALS are essentially the same as mine all anyway, all a matter of degrees, moods, and moments.

Of course thread hijacks are only a problem when someone has a real issue or question and instead of it getting answered it goes off to something else, or to being about someone else's issue.

These long threads (this will be long I can feel it in my waters) however are wonderful to wend and weave all through everyone :D

Buckhorn forgive me for being late to the party. Don’t know how I missed your thread.

You are always welcome to thread jack my thread. There for others to lean from.

Always here for you

Hugs

i always appreciate your comments on my threads and others. Sunday my wife we to a local minor league game here in Lancaster she had fun. i cant go out for that long anymore. enjoy every activity you can for as long as you can. weak armed hugs

I, too, appreciate your comments and how you are a wonderful CALS. The reason I'm posting is that I just ordered a to-go from Red Lobster. I hope it gives me some energy since mine has been depleted since I got FOOD POISONING at Mayo Clinic last week.

Thanks Pete! I'm glad to hear that your wife enjoyed the outing/baseball game! It is tougher every month for Dave to enjoy outings as well; he has difficulty keeping his head up (even if supported) and his comfort level in his power chair is also limited to 4-5 hours. Still, I push the envelope I guess - it was one of the two strongest vows I made to my husband once diagnosed .... that I would not allow him to become socially isolated and stare at the same 4 walls day after day.

Kim, I'm hoping your "to go" order from Red Lobster was good! We had a $50 gift card that we had been hanging onto since Christmas; the closest RL's to us are each an hour away. So, it was a good time to use the gift card and go to the minor league baseball game. Sorry about the food poisoning - yeesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back