Georgia Tech Research Study - Caregivers of individuals with ALS in Atlanta, GA area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanlee921

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Hi,

My name is Susan Lee, and I am an occupational therapist and research scientist at the Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access (CATEA), at Georgia Tech.

I'm involved in a research project that is looking at developing new products and technologies for toilet transfers.

An important part of the study is understanding what solutions and strategies are currently being used by caregivers and their loved ones. We would like to learn about your experience assisting your loved one with toilet transfers. We want to know what is working, what isn't working, what you wish were different --in order to understand where the unmet needs still exist.

I am looking for caregivers that would be interested in participating in a paid ($50) study. It will involve a one-time home visit from the study team (interview, observation of toilet transfer, and documentation of your bathroom environment).

Please e-mail me at [email protected] or call (404)385-2632 if you are interested.

Thank you!
Susan

Hi Susan
It would helpful if you noted the geographic area your team members would be able to visit. How many miles from Georgia Tech ?
We do have some members in the general area I think.

Thank you

Not trying to hijack the thread, but let me just hijack the thread for a second. ;-) My excuse will be that it might keep the request in the recent posts.

This is an important topic because it greatly impacts the run of the day. I've been meaning to search around the forum or start a new thread but opportunity came knocking.

I'd also like to hear all of y'all's toilet stories, not just the ones in Georgia. Hoping to get some input on savvy moves and nifty shortcuts.

For example my PALS has a fun little device that makes different horror movie sounds. It's next to the toilet and when I hear a screaming girl or a creaking casket it's time to pick him up again.
Also lightens the mood. :p

How do your handle public restrooms? Without the lift it's nearly impossible for me to get his pants back up in a manual wheelchair. In his PWC he can lie down flat and it works okay.

We can travel within a 50-mile radius (in all directions) from Midtown Atlanta.

Boy do I wish we lived closer. I have many stories about our varied toilet transfers.

Would you consider taking input via email? How about Facetime? We have done that with an OT in the past. I'm sure many other CALS have input that may be helpful also, but are not within your geographic region or are unable to travel.

Good luck with the study. I hope something comes of it. It would help immensely with PALS care.

Jrzygrl,
Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely look into the possibility of remote participation. I'd imagine it will require a conversation with the research ethics board (and doing so and getting approval will take a few months), but I would love to hear from individuals from beyond our geographical area. Would you mind sending me an e-mail? I want to make sure I will be able to reach you in the future.
Thank you,
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back