Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
WA
City
BELLINGHAM
This is my first post & I'm not sure I'm posting correctly or in the right place.

I was diagnosed with ALS May 2017. What I'm hoping for at this time is if somebody out there knows anybody or has experienced weakening core muscles. From what I've heard it's not common. So, I haven't found anybody that knows anything about this let alone recommendations. I do lean back on power chair & that helps some.
I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Genice

Hi

sorry you have to join us.

i think core weakness is very very common- not as an initial symptom but as ALS progresses. are you using recline or tilt on power chair? My sister found tilt much more comfortable and used it all day with occasional adjustments of angle. What are the biggest problems you are trying to solve?

Hi Genice,
To be sure, core muscles are going to weaken, though at different rates and sequences for everyone. My abs and back muscles are significantly weakened.

My core muscles are completely weakened but I am in an advanced stage of ALS. I deal with it by reclining in my power wheelchair. Thoracic supports are also available for the wheelchair. I could not manage without wheelchair and range of motion exercises.

Talk to your PT for additional suggestions.

Sorry to welcome you here - yes definitely core weakness is a huge part of why we need so much good quality equipment like hoists and good recliner chairs and PWC. Tilting the chair helps and as Nikki suggested changing the angle of the tilt regularly to relieve pressure is important.

I also have weak core muscles making most tasks including breathing and coughing difficult. My PT had a variety of exercises to help including the use of a Yoga ball. The exercises had to be done with one or two others assisting and ended with just sitting on the ball, nothing more than keeping myself from falling. I haven't used it for almost a year. Wish I had started it earlier.

Yes, I use tilt on pc daily & for most of the day. Because of posture due to weak core transferring w hoyer is very uncomfortable....it's like my stomach gets on the way. What do others do to deal with this?

The only thing I can think of is to try out different strap arrangements on the sling to keep yourself as upright as possible while in the sling. Also try to keep transfers as short as possible.

It could be the sling - we had one that could be adjusted to get the position correct for the individual (I wish I had taken detailed photos of the straps at the back of the sling that you could use to adjust how much core and neck support it gave. Even with a weak core, we could really comfortably transfer my Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back