Diagnosis
08/2019
Country
US
State
MA
City
Natick
Half of the time when I open the tube flap I get a combination of air and gastric contents bubbling out. The intensity is getting worse with more spouting. Makes a mess. Is this normal? three weeks ago I switched to 90% tubefeed from about 50%, a big change. I've been searching for help and have read about burping or venting the tube. I will try that. I'm not uncomfortable. It's messy and I want to retain what I've consumed.

Second i just had my tube replaced and the medication side leaks out the top when closed! This is a medical device failure. Just venting ( punny). Any remedies for that? I Want to avoid another new tube exchange.

Thanks

Hi Debbie, what kind of tube do you have, sounds like a dangling tube?
If so it would have a clamp, but you said a flap so I'm just trying the get the setup right in my head.

There are a couple of things you can do to reduce the spouting.
Don't be sitting completely upright when you open the port - the more upright you are the more pressure on the stomach.
Try to make sure you don't introduce air into the stomach when doing your feeds so you don't get that pressure build up.

I'm not certain what you mean by the medication side either, so back to needing to know just what setup you are using (we used 3 different types over a period of time).

I belly burp too lol. What helps contain the mess is my family keeps the hose clamped and adds the syringe ( without the plunger) . The syringe is enough extra storage space to hold anything that comes up. I hope that I made sense. I am praying for you as you navigate through this journey.

Thank you. I do have a dangling version, no clamp. It's a "y" shape. I'm thinking maybe I have a clog and will try remedies.

I have exactly the same problem, I am on my fourth dangler and they all have leaked. I have found no cure for that, I just live with it and a wet spot on my shirt. As far as the burping problem goes,no Crüe for that either,,my wife hates that and it usually happens at bedtime when I take my meds after a normal supper.

Hmm thank you. I called the formula company and they offered me an attachment for the leak, but it adds extra weight and bulk.

What about adding a clamp and the putting a 60ml syringe on before opening the clamp slowly?

Thank you. I'll see if I can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back