Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Anaheim
The kids had a garage sale today. For me, it was a long awaited chance to recover some space in what was otherwise an unvisitable garage. A year and a half after the remodel, things were crammed so tight I didn't know what was in there anymore.

Toward the end, with only a few things left, and almost time to clean up, one of the earlier buyers return.

He stayed and chatted for awhile. I had never met him, though he lives around the corner. Real nice guy named Eric. He stayed for half and hour and even helped move furniture around.

He complimented me on the lawn and the flowers out front. I thanked him, gave all the credit to my wife, and told him I can't do the upkeep anymore. He surprised me by saying he knows what I'm going through. His wife is a speech therapist and educated him about ALS and how things get. I'm still not sure how he knew I have ALS... maybe the ALS ribbon on the cars? Hmmm...

As he was leaving, he picked up a couple items on the table: two childrens books and a small box. We told him to go ahead and take them. No charge. He says "how about I make you a deal, whatever I have in this pocket for these 3 items" and hands us what looks like three dollars. We thanked him and he was on his way.

After he left, we looked at what he gave us; they were not all one dollar bills. One was a hundred note.

I'm sure he knew exactly how much was in his pocket. Some people want to help so badly, they just don't know what to do. We were visited by an angel...

-Tom

Wow. What an uplifting story. Thanks for sharing. My friends have been so helpful loaning us equipment (3 wheel scooter, walker, bathroom bench, commode) and offering help for my husband. You certainly do see the best in people and sometimes the worst. Glad it was a great garage sale.

It brought tears to my eyes Tom. Very nice story about the goodness of people. Thanks for posting it.
Laurel

What a nice gesture from a neighbor! Thanks for sharing that, Tom!

Thanks for sharing! That is so wonderful! It is amazing what strangers will do for you.

Hi Tom,

I was just thinking about you and when I logged in, there you were. Wonderful story. You just seem like such a good guy.

As you know I am very blessed and Dr. says for sure I have MMN not ALS. I know that your went the other way with your Dx. I think of you often and you are in my prayers.

Thanks for your wonderful attitude. God Bless you, Peg

Tom if only there were more caring people like your neighbor..

Not many neighbours like that about, how lovely that he found you xxx Ang

good to hear, i was struggling to get up my steps friday and my neighbor came over to give me a boost

Awesome! Good to know there are still people with a heart.

The beauty of this story is the neighbors knowledge of ALS,most people dont have a clue as to what it is.Because he knew of the horror he wanted to help,we should have a ALS- TV show every night and spread the info.Good story Tom------------------Ken

Great story.

Hope you don't mind that I moved it to "Stories of Hope".

Thought it was appropriate plus it will have greater longevity.

neighbors n friends sometimes do more 4 u then family. i have a very big family yet no one bothers to call. my neighbor checks on me often n paid for a weekend caretaker to give my son a weekend off. a friend bring meals every Sunday.

Love this. Love that he wanted to help you and did in such a tactful way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back