Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2022
Country
US
State
NY
I have a new home health aide who is a firm believer in the gait belt. She's quite good with it, but it's hard to figure out where to put it -- between breasts and feeding tube? I can cram it in there, if you're patient. I currently have a dangler but am hoping to get Enfit button in a few days.

I definitely don't want it below the tube because I think that will hurt. Over the tube doesn't work at present at least. Should I try underarms?

She, and everyone in my family is much taller than me.

Spring has sprung and I would like to putter in my garden. How can one strong person help me up and down? I garden best when kneeling on my knee pad because of back problems.

Currently I can get in and out of a chair or the car by myself if I'm not too tired (I use my hands and arms to help), but the kneeling position has us stumped. I can't seem to kneel or get up from kneeling.

Have you been assessed by an occupational therapist? They have all sorts of tricks and equipment they can recommend based on need and situation. Not sure if you're going to a clinic, but this might be a good one to ask about. If you're depending on your partner to safely lift you from the ground, sometimes an in-person lifting demo by an OT can be super helpful.

Last edited:
For most PALS/caregiver combinations, gait belts are a recipe for disaster. If you are petite enough to be lifted with a gait belt, you're small enough to do an assisted lift bear hug style. Ultimately, you'll need a Hoyer, though, so why not just get one? No worries with breasts, tubes, or joints, and you can start using it at your own pace.

I have to use the stairs until we find a downstairs shower solution, and also, I wonder if we can Hoyer for kneeling at my raised veg beds?

I'd start finding the shower solution soon, even if it's wet wipes, basins, or washcloths for a while. Stairs are dangerous places for someone with diminished core strength, even ahead of limbs that don't work well. You may be able to rent a stair lift short-term if your setup accommodates one.

If you can't kneel, there's no device that can bend your knees for you exactly, nor would you want to risk your joints, but if you can squat or sit with your legs extended, an Uplift Seat Assist in combination with a sling on top, to then enable Hoyer assistance for getting up, might help. If you need to travel down the length of your beds, I would try a sling under you, on top of a height-adjustable rolling garden cart or stand. I'm sure there are other devices.

I would get a Hoyer. Every caregiver should know or learn how to use one. My brother is in the VA nursing home. They tried using a gait belt on him and it bruised his ribs. He is over six feet tall but very skinny. Now the Hoyer is being used and he gets a nice shower three times a week.

Just be careful of your knees if you're on the ground. I learned the hard way. I think Lisa sits on her butt to plant flowers. They do have knee protectors at garden shops. I'd be very careful of being lifted, especially with the tube.

Yes, my husband helps me get down and I either scoot around on my butt or crawl on my hands and knees to work out in the yard. When I go to get up my husband can put his arms in my armpits and hoist me up or he'll bring a chair over and while he steadies the chair I can pull myself up. It's not the most attractive sight but it works for me.

Thanks, I will work on getting the Hoyer, and solving the bathroom problems.

lgelb, can you explain your idea? a sling under me, on top of a height-adjustable rolling garden cart or stand? I was thinking that if I've got the Apria with me outside, I could crab-walk along the edge of the bed? Without it I get very short of breath from doing anything.

I have to be careful to avoid bending forward because of my compression fractures and osteoporosis.

Or, I could put wildflower seeds in for most of the two beds and change my hobby!

That sounds encouraging, Lisa g. Which works better for you with the armpit lift - when he's facing you or when he's behind? Facing seems to work better for me.

Well, I certainly agree that a slingless transfer outside, if your husband is able to lift you, is easiest.

So I think I was trying to combine two things, but let's just say one is sitting/scooting along a bed, and if your husband can be doing some other work outside, maybe he can give you a gentle push when you need to move down. It didn't sound like you have the same level of strength as Lisa, but maybe I am wrong.

From when you need a Hoyer, in a supported position, you could be in the lift, in a sling, and be ground level while you work, then lifted for transfers.

Alternatively, in a wheelchair, you could work some raised beds, like those aluminum tubs, with hanging baskets, or something else that you control the height of.

Are you saying we could take the Hoyer outside and use it to put me in a kneeling position, and then get me up again?

Can the bear hug be used for lowering as well?

What's worked the best so far is to use the seat of the upright walker as the landing point and jumping off point -- it's a low seat and that makes it easier to get lowered onto my knees, and to be lifted from my knees. I can usually stand up from the seat. Also I can set the brakes, turn around, and sit down.

By the way, I always use a knee pad.

With the right sling, and perhaps a floor chair, yes. It would have to have back support and you would still have to have some core strength. Check YouTube for videos and I would imagine you were planning to look for a loaner lift, anyway, to try all this (carefully, with a failsafe plan, and on a soft landing surface to start). Caveat: not all lifts go as low as you might need. Some "go to the floor." Others do not.

Lowering with a bear hug requires a secure drop point and core strength on the part of the lowerer.

Last edited:
Thanks! My spouse and two sons (older one is visiting right now), and the new aide, are all tall with broad backs and lots of core strength. One son is an avid rock climber, the other works with the shopping carts at a grocery store (with a belt and hook, no machine). My spouse sails weekly and is shaped like one of those German beer-hauling horses! He was an experimental physicist and was constantly opening a very heavy door that shielded him from the radiation, and crawling around on the floor to arrange the million and one cables in a tight spot. The aide is 5'9" and also strong. I weigh about 120 lbs.

I will request a Hoyer that goes to the ground - sounds like the safest thing.

Today I picked up sticks in preparation for my son to mow the lawn! I used a loaner battery-operated chair with a joy stick. It went great. I also used a grabber with my stronger hand. Here's a photo. I was in 7th heaven, feeling productive and independent.

In my strong hand I'm holding the grabber and the other arm is posed as Ms. Muscle. Note the absence of fallen branches in the area around me.

Finally Spring.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back