Gag reflexes and Swallowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Hanging thing is called a Uvula its connected to the soft palate,its like a sensor . and its not the foam that gags you . Try to Brush slower ,dont be so agressive a brusher .we are all taught certain ways to brush when we're little ones . Ive found i cant brush my tongue like i used to ,it wants to curl up and then gag me .LOL so i slow it down . we all have hyper sensitive nerves so whatever makes them react bad,change it see what happens . Al i know you LOL ,Gotta get it done LOL .When you were a little guy someone who taught you problably was not the best to teach a little one to brush .LOL LOL Like my Grandma when i would stay with them for the Summer she would scrub me like she was scrubing the bathtub ,especially my ears .Mommy doesnt do it like that grandma . Never got a response from that one . So i would say try slower ,see what happens .Geo

Get a Clue dear, Non Existent means None, Hyper Means Too Much of, As Hypo Means Little or None . Like Hypo Glycemia is too little of Sugar or sweets ,Hyper is too much Sweets or Sugars When the dentist Did your Exrays he or she problably hit the nerve that causes the gag reflex ,usually in the back of the mouth or on the Soft Palate . Get A Clue .Geo

Well, Geo, I do know all of that as I actually have college in medical terminology and spelling and spent a great deal of time reading, interpretting and coding those and other latin and/or greek foundation words, suffixes, and prefixes Someone has definitely hit a nerve and it wasn't the dentist. I'll become non-existent since I do not put myself into situations where people are just plain rude. I got a clue, Geo. Seems like you are the only one who is actually suffering right now- suffering from non-existent or (hypo~) manners.

Ronda

Olly,

Evidently the EMG didn't show up anything because I had one right after I noticed my lack of gag reflexes. On top of that wouldn't you think my neuro would recognize one of the lmn symptoms in me? My neuro is a teaching neuro at the U of Minnesota.

It boggles my mind how little is known about all this.

Bill

thanks geo,i it was late last night and i could not think if it was epiglottis or uvula.

rhonda,geo means well. he is a good man you will get used to the different personalities on the forum and there ways of putting things accross in posting.

bill,if you have lost your gag reflex and your emg was clean then the weakness will be umn,that is great(well not really but you know what i mean).
weakness,paralysis and atrophy all happen in pls after time.
this is from the umn lesions causing progressive weakness and not the same as in als.
so you can have the same symptoms as in als but a clean emg will show it to be pls.
it is all very confusing bill,i have lots of info from basic to mind boggling.
if you need any info let me know,i will find one out on umn /lmn bulbar that may help.

Last edited:
Seems Kind of strange to me that a person in one sentence says Loss of gag reflex and another sentence says when at the dentist he hit stuck something in the mouth and made you gag ,HMMMMM. Sounds like Hyper to me .Kind of like twitches instead of fasiculations . But of course when youve been to College and you make a Boo Boo ,your excused . Maybe that explains why theres not been a cure for many diseases .But when someone calls you out HMMMM you know all ? Dont like the Errogance of some once they get Educated or is that Edecated HMMMM. ? Geo

Goe- did somebody piss in your cornflakes this morning? You sound like a man on a mission of some sorts, LOL! :-D Cindy

ok,time out folks.
here is something intresting in yesterdays dailymail newspaper on gag reflexes.

Easing pressure at the dentist'sThe unpleasant experience of 'gagging' during dental treatment could be avoided by simply applying pressure to your hands.

Research at the University of Miami shows that when 2lb of pressure was applied to the palm of the hands of patients in the dental chair, they gagged less easily.

In particular, the gag reflex was less likely to occur when areas toward the front of the mouth were touched.

It's thought that the pressure - which can be mimicked by holding an item of the desired weight - may have some effect on the reflex of the nerves involved, although it is not known how.

The gag reflex - when the back of the throat contracts - is a normal body reaction. It occurs when certain areas of the mouth are touched, including the back of the tongue, and back of the throat. This helps prevent choking.

Sometimes i feel the need to VENT and i can think of no better persons to do it on as i know theres some Med people out there .And they need to know how Pissed off people are when they can do no wrong ,BS
Theres no excuse for Incompetent Behavior . Where i stand, the poor Patient gets the full brunt of their crap .
You All know me by now .I say what needs to be said . I feel everytime i go to a Doc. i feel like we are treated like Cattle and not nice people .I have no respect for the medical Community from what ive been through . Have a Nice day My Friends Geo

totally get it geo

geo,i feel exactly the same and i too have little respect for some doctors.
though i have come accross a few nice decent ones,rarely:lol:
that is what i love about you...............you always speak your mind and tell it like it is.
i hope you and connie are ok:)

Honestly, Geo, your rambling makes no sense to me. :confused:

I have little faith in doctors also since I have been suffering for 7 years and am just now being taken serious. I have been told it's MS; I've been told it's depression; I have been told it's Fibromyalgia; I've been told that there is no such thing as Fibromyalgia-- all of these from doctors. I came to the conclusion that doctors really don't have a grasp on the human body in many areas- especially the CNS. I quit searching for the diagnosis and asked my doctor to just treat my symptoms until this summer when they began to worsen. You can read my very first post-my introduction, if you will. :)

Again- I am not sure what you are trying to say or imply with your recent two posts. If you could point me in the right direction (if they are pertaining to me), I would appreciate it so that I can ascertain what exactly I did to you to make you attack me verbally. Just come right out and say what you mean to say instead of pnssyfooting around it. :-?

If there is one thing this disease has taught me, it is to speak my mind. :-|

Ronda

Oh Geez, here we go again. Do we really have to do this?

AL.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Al LOL Now you know me LOL .What is Support ? Not someone saying yes my dear i know what you think and i totaly agree .Thats BS and you know it .TELL IT LIKE IT IS .POLITICALLY CORRECT ? HMMM . I dont know about you but Im an honest friend , im not going to kiss you fanny if i disagree .This is not an Honest Friendship .I can aqree with everything you say and at somepoint your going to say , if your honest .Your Blowing Smoke up My ass . Im not a BS Politician .Im a True Friend .
If you disagree with me say it and lets shake hands and still be friends .I dont pretend to be right and most of the time im not .But Lets Hash it out . This is True Fare and Balanced . Geo

I know you Geo. I was appealing to your sense of humor or humour as we Canadians spell it. I'm sure you know I don't blow smoke either. Have a good day.

AL.

Be Honest With Yourself Rhonda

Honestly, Geo, your rambling makes no sense to me. :confused:

I have little faith in doctors also since I have been suffering for 7 years and am just now being taken serious. I have been told it's MS; I've been told it's depression; I have been told it's Fibromyalgia; I've been told that there is no such thing as Fibromyalgia-- all of these from doctors. I came to the conclusion that doctors really don't have a grasp on the human body in many areas- especially the CNS. I quit searching for the diagnosis and asked my doctor to just treat my symptoms until this summer when they began to worsen. You can read my very first post-my introduction, if you will. :)

Again- I am not sure what you are trying to say or imply with your recent two posts. If you could point me in the right direction (if they are pertaining to me), I would appreciate it so that I can ascertain what exactly I did to you to make you attack me verbally. Just come right out and say what you mean to say instead of pnssyfooting around it. :-?

If there is one thing this disease has taught me, it is to speak my mind. :-|

Ronda
OK You say your Educated in theMedical Field ,But then you say your Just now being taken seriously .Come on now You know what there saying behind our Back . Ive had this disease for 8 yrs. Ive been in Numerous Support Groups and talked to Numerous Nice Folks .Truth They tell some .Its All in your head or you get, theres no Clinical evidence to prove you have anything wrong with you . Beat that one . Im thinking you must be living in a Vaccum Dear Just read all the Posts and the evidence comes home . We all have a Phsyco Problem . Im Just Fed up with People that claim they have a MED DEGREE .Im thinking Not (Cheat Sheets Maybe ) IM Speaking My Mind
I dont know you so why would i have something against you .If you speak and what you say makes no sense Im going to tell you you make no sense . Like i say im sick and tired of Someone saying they are a Doctor or claiming a Medical Degree .And finding out they Blow Smoke alot up someones Ass .Geo

ronda,like you i went through the many possibilities of diagnosed for many years.
yes it is frustrating and even though neuro,s like to think they are all knowing ........................they are not!.

as i have said there are many different personalities on the forum,sometimes they clash.
when you get to know each of us you will understand were we are coming from.
geo means well,he makes me laugh when he "goes off track" in his posts.
we all try to be understanding and support each other despite our own problems.
this forum is the best there is,you have come to the right place for support and info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back