Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
I can't remember who had info on a mask/mouthpiece for pals that couldnot seal lips around the "scuba" mouthpiece used in lung function tests. My ALSA is trying to help me get a test for my husband and he has never been able to complete a test because of air leakage (loose Lips!).

If anyone has any info on this, please let me know!

Thanks guys!

Hi Barbie. The last test Bob had was a SNIFF test - it was a simplified test though, done at home. To measure his diaphragm strength he was measured whilst sniffing through his nose. I hate to say this but I can't exactly remember how it was done, but it was done by an ALS Clinic team member. His previous FVC lung function test was 39% but this after several tries because of the lack of proper lip seal. Whichever way they did the sniff test at home, it measured the same. Looking it up online, the test is quite a bit more elaborate than what I have tried to describe but the end result was the same. Ugh. Wish I could remember better. Take care. Yasmin.

Message Rose( aka Dianne)

I posted a message, Barbie, but it went to moderation!

My Husband just had tests at pulmanary dr. and they used a special mouthpiece for those who can not close there lips around the other types or get a more accurate reading then with the mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back